Firelite USB hard drive not recognized by PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firelite 40 Gig USB external hard drive is not recognized as a drive letter by Win XP operating System. When plugged into USB port, the device recognition window opens, and sees a "Uoshiba" device, not a Toshiba. And then it does not assign a drive letter. Meanwhile, the drive light on the case is blinking a series of code flashes. :suspiciou

May not help, but I had to change a USB stick drive letter for windows to see a device as it was conflicting with the A:.

conflicting drive letters.

You are right. These drives, including the flash drives are sensitive to the drive letter assignments. We have a network with a number of mapped drives, and I always have to leave drive letters E: and F: unmapped for USB drives to see. I wish the solution was only that. The key thing I noticed, though, was that the word Toshiba was misspelled when reporting what the drive identification was. This indicates to me that there is probably an error in the drive tables.

go to the Device Manager and review the configuration.
With the USB HD plugged in, you should see a Mass Storage device in the
list. If not, change the setting. Once you have access, you can assign the
drive letter and it will 'stick' for the next time, just leave a gap between your
last non-usb device and the usb-hd.

Mapping drive for Firelite

I went to the Control Panel, found the "Mass Storage Device" in the USB list. But could not find a way to assign it a drive letter. Rt-Click didn't give me one. And there is not one on the menu bar. I guess I need more information.

Thanks,

Jim

I make mention of the MSD, as sometimes it needs to be configured manually
when things don't work as expected. Yours appears to be correct.

The drive letter is assigned to the usb drive which should be below the
Mass Storage Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back