Firewall issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenateKT

Last night my hardware Sonicwall/firewall took a crap. The wrench light came on and it stopped working smelling like it fried. My network must stay online so I had to find a firewall solution and fast. It wasn't a problem for the office computers as they all run XP and have Sunbelt personal firewall installed and running. But the server and the Exchange box both run on windows server 2003 and the Sunbelt firewall is not compatible. I scrambled for a temporary solution and installed Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 on both machines. After installing the Sygate firewall and putting the network back online the file server is now logging this this.
firewall.JPG

192.168.168.101 is my exchange box within the network so I don't know what is going on. Everything seems to be functioning properly but these logs worry me. I know that the Sygate firewall is no longer supported and is kind of old so can anyone suggest a good software firewall to run on my Win2003 server's?

sorry i can't help you too much mate, i don't have any experience with windows server 2003 but somebody else who is online no might that wasn't online earlier :)

sounds to me like the firewall is blocking access attempts to the 192.168.168.101 ip so check its settings but other than that i'm out of ideas i'm afraid and like i say, i don't know windows server edition

bump

ICMP is the PING protocol and usually it is wise to block it.

HOWEVER, sometimes server software needs to find other systems and uses
ping to do so.

That said, ignore it and monitor your clients for proper operation.
a) if everything is going well, then alter the FW to stop logging ICMP
b) otherwise, alter the FW to allow ICMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back