FireWire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Legge

Greetings,

Someone I know wants to purchase a FireWire external hard drive made by Lacie.

He is using Windows 98, but Lacie have told him that the company will only provide support for Windows 98 SE systems.

I want to tell him to buy a PCI FireWire card that would come with the drivers that would allow the drive to work under Windows.

I am I right?

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

he should try to upgrade to 98SE or in fact forget all that 9x rubbish and get a real OS.... I am not sure if 98 original version supports firewire but in any case if you can get him to the latest OS its better for all concerned....

I don't think you get usb support till SE - I'm pretty sure of this but then again I am pretty lit.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by LNCPapa
I don't think you get usb support till SE - I'm pretty sure of this but then again I am pretty lit.

LNCPapa

Windows 95(b) can use USB ;) Windows 95a, however, cannot.

So yes you can get a USB drive ;)

The main function of an external hard drive is it's mobility. I mean c'mon...think of how many computers today have 1394 as opposed to USB...

Veh - I dont' think USB support is in question - I think USB 2.0 SUPPORT IS IN QUESTION.

actually, USB support was added to the little known third edition of windows 95. don't know about firewire.

I'm sorry - now that I'm sober I know that I must have meant Firewire. I knew that 95b brought about USB support. USB must've been more appealing to type since it is shorter than Firewire.

LNCPapa

heheh don't worry about the soberity issue... it happens to us all!

but it was windows 95c that supported USB i am sure. win95b supported FAT32.

95c is when it was there by default - but with 95b OSR2.1 you could have it as well (supplement).

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back