Firmware Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gidday, I wanted to see if I could get my Dell CD writer to burn at slower than the maximum 48x Speed. I was getting burn errors so wanted to try a much slowre speed like 1x -8x I tried everything and finally risked a firmware update from another company.. IBM..

I tried updating firmware on my CD Burner. It's a Dell one..made by LG and it's called (HL-DT-ST GCE-8483B) after reading recomendations to do so on a forum. Which I refer to here*

* And I Quote
Re: Changing write speeds - LG GCE-8483B and Nero 5.5.10.28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO_JINX
i updated the firmware v1.03 for the CD-RW drive which was intended for IBM computers (I have a dell 8400) but works fine with my CD-RW drive (GCE-8483B ). instead of just 48x , i can burn @ 8,12,16,24,32,40 and 48x speeds now.

here is the webpage i found the driver @ http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=1877

Direct download @ ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbb.../j8win103us.exe

Just stumbled on the same prob with the same drive on an old Dell client at the office, thanks for this drift, it worked beatifully!

**unquote

The Problem is that the firmware was for an IBM GCE-8483B not a (Dell HL-DT-ST GCE-8483B) although the forum I refer too said it would work with the Dell one aswell. So I gave it a go

Next thing that happened was the firmware upgrade stoped half way through and gave error message.

I had to reboot. When I Did this the computer locked up at the memory test screen. I have not been able to boot into windows with the CD Drive connected since this firmware conundrum.

Have I fried my CD Burner? Is it toast?? Or is there a way around this????

Any replies that may help will be greatfully received...

Thanks.. Newbie

try go to bios and untick stop on errors for all cept mouse keyboard
may be able to reload the firmware
I did upgrade for a plex needed to burn at higher speeds burn and usb issues same thing happened lost the cd writer got it back after lots of effort tried again locked up it now sits as paper weight

good luck

The site you downloaded that firmware from generally has hacked firmware. the only POSSIBLE recovery would be if someone has created a flash program you could load the proper firmware into and reflash the drive. But offhand I dont know if anyone making such a program for the LG drives.

Firmware B105

Yeah, I doubt very much there is a flash program out there for LG. I can't even find the origional firmware.... namely ( B105 )

If anyone knows how to contact Hitachi-LG directly in china or anything else that may be of use, would love to hear from you.

For those thinking of updating firmware on this CD writer with other company's firmware, Beware of the dangers.. In my veiw with the benifit of hind sight I'd say don't go there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back