First build attempt not so well, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kool aid man

I think my first try at building a PC was not a very good one.

For starters when I was prying away the plastic case holding the CPU it popped out and landed on the ground (about a 1 foot drop onto concrete). The black plastic covering the bottom of the CPU was on and I think only the top metal part struck the floor. Is there a possibility that that CPU still has a chance to work?

Secondly, I'm not sure if I mounted my motherboard on my Antec P180B <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129017> correctly. I did not see any plastic standoffs that came with the case and saw metal cylinder pieces. (see "stand-off.jpg pic)

For the screw holes on my Gigabyte P965 DS3 mobo there were metal dots around them and my neighbor said these were for grounding the mobo and that it would be ok to screw it onto the mobo so I went ahead (see "screw-hole.bmp" attatchment). I’m concerned that now I have a short circuited mobo with a damaged CPU (see "screwinhole.bmp").

My third issue is the wiring with my OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply, and PWR/Reset switch plus the front LED lights of case. To being with, I’m not sure where to plug in the fans to the power supply and the PWR/SYS slots on my mobo. Then for the light and switch slots on the mobo there are plus signs on several of 20 different color coded pins (see "front panel pins.bmp" attatchment). I don’t know which way to connect those pins to the switches and lights of the case. The wires on the case that connect the lights and switches are all white+(blue, purple, black, orange, red) wire. Which wire should go into the pin with a plus sign? Also, of those pins I think four were for speakers or something, you can check in my mobo’s manual <http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-965p-ds3(s3)_2.0(3.3)_e.pdf>
on page 25.

Another part that scares me and I'm regretting is trying to turn on my computer. I plugged in the power supply to an outlet and hit the power button and nothing happened. I might have heard one beep but it was not quite loud. Did the computer not turn on cause the power switch connectors were put in incorrectly or were my hardware handled so badly that they broke?

Also, on the back of the HDD and DVD drive there were the pins to set them into master or slave etc. but I didn't find any wires or anything else to put on and/or connect them to something else. How do I set my HDD's to master and with what?

The whole time I was putting everything together I had my anti-static wrist strap on and was constantly touching the top of the PSU and metal parts of the case to ground myself. I hope that doing this prevented static from ruining my hardware but right now I'm not just sure. I could really use some help right now, thanks.

The cpu is likely ok.
Everything else you need to know is included in the motherboard manual, or in any good primer on how to build your first computer.
The number one ingredient is rest, followed by patience, then careful reading of the manual, until you understand every line.
We have all been there, and have suffered through a lot of these problems. But it is better if you worry your way through to better learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back