First build of gaming rig, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

hi, im new here on theses boards, im here in search of some good advice on my project i have coming along.

at this moment, im using a really slow pc that i only use for gaming. 1770 was my score in 3DMark05 i just did. thats horrid i know.

so here is the deal, after a few weeks of research online i came up with these specs for a new gaming pc, im not looking for the most expensive pc and i did set a budget.
this is what i have at the moment:

*Amd Athlon 64x2 4000+ ($69 tiger direct)

*Evga 590i SLi mainboard AM2 (2 16x pic slots running at full speed with sli) ($80 off ebay)

*Windows Vista 64bit (builders cause it was cheaper) ($120 @ frys instore)

*4gb pc6400 (2x2) dual channel A-Data memory ($71 @ frys.com)

*new case /w 550 power supply with 9" side panel fan (white box cause its cheaper) ($60 off ebay)

*300gb Seagate SATA HD 7200rpm 16mb cache ($59 @frys.com)

*dual 70mm pci slot gpu fan ($20 at tiger direct)

total money spent after taxes and shipping, about $550

all i need is atleast 1x pci-express gpu, but aiming for 2 to use sli

should i ditch the motherboard and get a crossfire ready board and then get my gpu's or should i just get 2 8800gt's

i have about $400 left in my budget.

thanks for your comments.

You are getting 4GB of RAM and dual 8800s and are using a 4000X2?????

You really should consider beefing up your CPU. You have a very strong PC planned out but that CPU, while strong, is not in the same level of performance as the rest of your PC.

For your graphics card, I'm sure you mean a PCI-E x16 card. Anyway, if you are set on SLI, I think you will be happy with two 8800GTs. The thing that I would like to ask you about is the power supply that is coming with the case. For one thing 550W is not enough for two 8800GTs in SLI and for another typically power supplies that come with cases are poor to marginal regardless of their nominal wattage. While there are exceptions, since you are planning to go SLI there doesn't seem to be any point in sticking with that 550W PSU regardless of its quality.

Check this SLI Zone page from the Nvidia website for certified SLI power supplies. You can still choose a power supply that does not appear on the list but it gives you a good idea of the kind of power supply that is required for those two 8800GTs in SLI.

i have never buildt a pc from scratch, only taken the one i currently use apart and back together again for some practice.

how bad off am i with the 4000+ compared to a 5500 or better.

and in gaming, how much memory is actually needed on the motherboard (not including the gpu memory "gddr3")

ive seen lots of guys only using 2 gigs in their gaming rigs (i learned this after i bought my sticks)

also, how much better would it be if i was to get ahold of a raptor 74gb hard drive running at 10k rpm if im playing online games like "guild wars"

if i can think of any other questions, ill post them here. thanks again

There is surely no use for 4gigs of RAM, you could get 2-2.5gigs and be set and it'll be cheaper, Save the bigger stuff for future builds.

For the Processor, I have a 6400 X2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103191

It's very very good, It's a dual core ( 2 cores = more processing power ) so it can load more programs and will not stress. I've done multiple test on the processor, It only goes to 55c on both cores at Full 100% CPU usage ( which is almost never ) and about 30-32c on Idle, so it's very cold and won't over heat very easily.

As for the Power Supply, you should get a better one since the defaulted Case Power supplies are very bad quality. I recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

I use this power supply in all my builds, It's very good and has a great fan which is excellent for overall cooling.

As for the rest, it's quite good. You should get this CPU fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118004

It's the one I have, it's very powerful ( Keeps my processor at a 32c temp at all times, even in my hot room ) and has a bad *** glowing LED light!

Make sure to pick up some ThermaPaste aswell, since the default paste isn't very good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

The X2 6400+ is a 90nm chip. The X2 5000+ is a better idea since it's a 65nm chip. Everything else in your rig looks ok.

AHHHHHHHHHH do not build an AMD pc.. be warned!!! Intel chips are cheap enough now that u can afford them. steer clear of ATI as well as things will not tend to work, Ever!

nonda said:
AHHHHHHHHHH do not build an AMD pc.. be warned!!! Intel chips are cheap enough now that u can afford them. steer clear of ATI as well as things will not tend to work, Ever!

Please don't send your Fan-boyism in a thread you did not contribute to. AMD is a good brand and so is Intel, AMD tends to be more hot but that's expected from the stuff it's designed for like Gaming and multimedia processing ( like 3d renderings and stuff )

While Intels run cold, they are more towards casual computing so there is no reason for it to be running 45-50c

TimeParadoX said:
stuff it's designed for like Gaming and multimedia processing ( like 3d renderings and stuff )

Proof? The top level Intel Chips beat all of the AMDs in both of the things you mentioned.

TimeParadoX said:
AMD tends to be more hot

While Intels run cold, they are more towards casual computing so there is no reason for it to be running 45-50c

You use the term Intel and AMD too loosely. No, Intels are not cool, the C2D runs cool, the old prescotts were like furnaces. And the old single core AMD 64 were nice and cool. Saying Intels are cool is just wrong.

Im not pulling for one or the other, but the statements in the above post are very very misleading.

I see no point in your post ATK Spade, seeing how the guy right before mine says something like:

ZOmG stay away from AMD lawlsauce they = teh suckz lul

And you say nothing, but If I try to explain it then you have to go crazy over it.

I have to agree that the Core 2 line is far superior to the equivalent AMD, plus they will overclock excellently.

I would advise getting a Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient edition with G0 stepping, as games are starting to take advantage of more core and the ee wih G0 stepping is the best for overclocking if you can find it.

A slightly beefer power supply would be advisable especially if there is a possibility of upgrading down the line.

One 8800GT is excellent but if, after everything else you have enough money left, go for SLI (though that will DEFINITELY require a stronger PSU)

I would say ditch the Vista because IMO its not up 2 speed and could cause issues esp if YOUR a noob to building a rig.

Also your CPU is weak, sorry for repeation what everyone else has said. Check out the E6750, its a Intel C2D and is less than $220 after shipping. I would not rush building you rigg..8800GT is the way to go, I would do with PNY or EVGA brands or even XFX. The PSU that Timeparadox suggests is the one i am using in my build.

I understand that these suggestions may out-max your budget, but if you can afford to save up a little more $$ and just wait a little longer, it will only be a benefit to you.

Also for future reference, the MOBO and CPU IMO should be the last few things you buy when building. :D

im not going out to spend 220 bucks on another cpu after ive allready purchased one

everything is purchased allready except for the video card. i can however buy a new psu to go along with the vid card.

my budget is my budget, i have 300 bucks left on it, cant go any higher unless your willing to split the bill lol.

i am really glad to get all of your opinions but i cant just trash what i have allready bought and shell out more $$$ for better cpu.

so as of now, i have a sli certified psu and a 8800gts in my shopping cart at tiger direct for $297 after shipping and tax. just waiting on my $$$ to clear.

as for running vista, and possibly having problems with it, im not too worried about that. id rather have the latest o/s on the new rig compaired to just throwing away the money to upgrade to the latest down the road.

i wish i had the budget of some of you that suggest the "top-notch" items and if i did i would not even bother trying to save a dime here and there.

sorry for the back to back posting, but perhaps later on down the line i can just upgrade the cpu when i get some extra cash, and get a 2nd hard drive (raptor perhaps), but for now, i have to use what i have.

Yea bro i feel u i was just adding my two cents.

Later on you can upgrade, but im sure no-one wants to witness someone build a rig that might cause you more trouble after you just spent your hard earned $$ on it. The E6750 is $189 and im sure that price will go down sometime esp after Intel releases their new 45nm processors.

Anyhow I would hypothetically still suggest that you definitely save up for a better PSU and GPU and maybe if possibly your CPU as well. These hardware components determine the stability and the level of performance your PC will be able to handle.

Motherboards, CPU's and Graphics cards are always constantly changing and Manufacturers are always trying to produce something better which is why i suggested to save these as the last things you purchase when building a rig. The mobo i have is a EVGA 680I SLI A1 whch i bought a long time ago and regret it.

As for the 2X post u can click on edit after u make posts bro :)

ok, i think i worked out a way to upgrade my cpu.

in my current rig, i have a allmost new vid card, i also have my 3 backups that used to be in it (not all at once of course).

so i listed my newest vid card on ebay hoping to sell it for 1/3 of what i paid for it, witch would be about $50 bucks. so the starting bid was $50.

as soon as i get the first bid (if i even do) ill then list my new cpu sitting in its box (the 64x 4000+) for about $60 ($10 less then what i paid), it should sell at that price since the cheapest retail i can find is @ $65 at newegg and i paid $69 at tigerdirect.

if all goes well, this would leave me with atleast $110 extra bucks to use to get the best am2 64x2 cpu i can (with the $110)

newegg has a 5400 64x2 for $105.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103242

would be an upgrade from 2.1ghz to 2.8ghz

with the 2.8ghz 5400 i should be able to give it a small oc to get it to 3.0 easy. would this be a upgrade worth doing?

the 5400 cpu i posted is also 65nm and was just reduced to $99 also.
i believe its also unlocked.

I would select another motherboard. I had that exact same EVGA mobo and it was nothing but trouble. The problem was with the two LAN slots. It worked fine for about 3-4 months, and then they just died. I returned the board for a replacement and everything was fine once again, but after 3-4 months (again) I had the same problem. I know that I could have purchased a PCI LAN card, but why should I have done that. I expected it to work until it was upgraded or I fried it. Go with an ASUS board. I've always used them (except when I purchased an EVGA), and after the problem I had, I went back to ASUS again. The M2N32-SLI boards are fairly cheap right now, which is what I purchased after the EVGA disaster, and I haven't had a problem since. I know that this sounds a little bias towards ASUS, but they make great boards at a reasonable price. They're dependable, easy to install (install and connect all applicable hardware) AND they work for as long as you own your computer (although there are some bad boards that slip through quality control, but that's very few).

your making me regretting buying my 680I SLI evga board....its been sitting in the Box for like 5 months and i have it under a 2yr warranty i believe :(

I'm not trying to scare you, just inform you of a flaw in those boards. Hey, you may be lucky and not have a problem. But, that seems to be the only drawback to that board. If you don't mind purchasing a PCI LAN card when (and if) the internet connection goes, it's not a problem. I liked the board and didn't have any other problems with it. I just got sick and tired of always resetting my router and performing a repair on my internet connection. Then one day, it just couldn't connect anymore.
If you have a warranty, return it to the store you purchased it, or contact EVGA. They will honor the warranty and refund your money. I've been using ASUS boards for about 6 years now and haven't had the slightest problem with any of them.

i have to use wireless anyways, so i will be using a pci wireless card.
so hopefully, this lan problem will not be an issue.

if heard negative things about all the major brands including asus.
so i have to stick with what i have for now. its non-returnable.

Hmm..I will look into it. But i have not even used this board so its basically new...I needa set up a pay pal account and sell it on ebay or summ...Im thinking of selling it 200$ and upgrading to a ASUS board...add another 100$ and buy something more recent. IDK but ima make a forum for my gaming pc with specs when i gather the $$$ and ishh so i can get it up n running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back