First Build....s

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleman

Hey at the moment im putting together my first computer..well to acctually.
One is for me and one is for my little brothers..The parts are all basically hard rubbish parts and off a friend of mine..(crap)
Umm well for both computers I still need to find pentium 2 power supplies.
For mine I need a video card aswell. I just found a cd drive.
Could I buy pentium 2 power supplies online? Ebay only has new XP ones.
Any help..and could you tell me if something is wrong about the build.. yes I know that some plugs are out..but its not done yet..so yer :)

Attachments

• brothers.JPG
    brothers.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 14
  • close.JPG
    close.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 9
  • long.JPG
    long.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 9
  • mine.JPG
    mine.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 10
You just need an ATX power supply. They arent processor specific. A 300 watt unit should be fine. But Id stick with a good brand like Antec, Enermax or Cooler Master. They have models that are inexpensive but reliable.

so atx is like the power supply type?
and i can do 300
i will probably go and pick one up tomorrow

An ATX power supply might not do it. Some older computers used 1 or 2 6-pin AUX rails rather than the motherboard's 20-24 pin +12V line to power the processor. Newer power supplies do not have even one AUX rail. (I'm sorry but I don't know the exact voltage of the AUX rail.) Try looking on Ebay for some, but I'd say there isn't much hope. The AUX rail's use ended back around 2001 so any PSUs out there still would probably be too old to work that well. If you live in Canada I could send you a spare one that I have lying around...

The motherboard's AUX plug looks like this:
dfi-nb76-ea-power2.jpg

The power supply's AUX plug looks like this:
Aux-connector-148x200.gif

If you have these on your motherboard, you will need a PSU with an AUX rail. If you don't have them, then you are lucky and can just go with a standard ATX PSU (Anything about 150 watts+).

no my motherboard has the 20-24 pin thing.
I went to a computer shop today and they said they could do a 400 watt one for $40 plus a good $20 case.
If anyone has a spare 350-400 watt ps that they wont be a needing..pm me :) I will pay postage and handling. Maybe a formatted HD too cus the ones i am using are very small..
just ideas...(ebay's p.s's are all around the 500w mark and that is a lot more than i need..

That's good but make sure it's from a good manufacturer/brand, since a crappy one might blow out and screw things up. Might not be possible with a Pentium II but it's always better to be safe than sorry I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back