First pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi every one
iv been thinking about puting my 1st pc together
im going for a asus crosshair motherboard i'll ge alrite puting the parts together but i want to know how hard it is to get everything to work prop im alrite with pc's but iv just never done it before
i'll have all the manuals to follow
so i just want to know will it be so hard that i'll need some who done it before to help
or with a bit of time will i be able to do it my self
thank al

From the first time I opened up a desktop computer it took me a week to get one up and running from used parts. I'm sure theres lots of other people on these forums that taught themselves as well.

I agree on the thermal paste, though, its a pretty dangerous screwup too. Stick with stock paste/HS until you build a couple computers if you don't want to take on everything at once.

The actual assembly of the PC is easy. You have manuals on putting the parts together if you need them.
The one part you should definitely be putting more thought to is the selection of parts. Don't just settle for anything that's compatible with the rest of your hardware. Take some time to research for a product that you are sure will give you the best performance. It helps to be prepared -- you'll want your first build to go smoothly with no surprises.

Thermal paste actually isn't so hard to apply for the first build. I remember that I used Arctic Silver 5 on my first build during the hardware assembly stage. This is because I have already used AS5 on other computers before the first build, so I knew how to use it and saw how much better it was.

Take as much time as you need for preparation. Know as much as you can before you dish out hundreds of dollars. An educated customer is more likely to be a satisfied customer. :)

My first PC build had an ECS mobo. My next build will NOT!!! Do your homework. I did but not as much as I should have. I bought most of my stuff off Ebay. I am happy with all of it, the only issue I had was buying RAM. The mobo maker had a small list of what was compatible with their board. Kingston said their RAM was compatible with this board. Needless to say I now have 2 512mb sticks of RAM I can't use. Do your homework, google the stuff you want to buy and look for issues with the parts. This is how I found this site. You should do fine.

i have done a good bit of home work so far so i"ll tel ya what im thinking of getting
cpu atholn fx62
motherb asus m2-crosshair r.o.g chipset 590 sli
so then i typed crosshair review in to goggle seen what they tested it with and im thinking of
ram Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2GB kit
hdd 2xWD Raptor 150gb
but for the gpu im not sure i haveint and time to look at it yet
id like to get EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX but iv only seen GeForce 7 numbers on the sites iv looked in so could any one tell me will it work
i haveint worked out what psu i need or i dont no what case i"ll go for

kwspony said:
... google the stuff you want to buy and look for issues with the parts.

Exactly. That's what I do too. This is possibly the best piece of advice for someone's first build.
I don't consider myself to be wealthy, so whenever I am about to buy something, I do a a lot of research first. This helps ensure that the money will not go to waste.

As for your graphics card: yes, a GeForce 7-series card will work. Anything will as long as it uses the PCI-Express graphics interface of your motherboard.

The rest of your hardware are all high-end parts (such as Corsair Dominator, and dual Raptors) so I think you should also get a high end graphics card that supports DX 10. The GeForce 8800GTS/GTX would be superb.

As for your case, think carefully and pick a good one. The case is obviously the most visible part of your computer, so make sure it is visually appealing to your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back