First time building a computer, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

Yes, again. I'm trying for around $1000, all I'm sure of so far are an eVGA 8800GT and a Q6600. Looking for specific recommended parts. If someone posts something you think would be good, just say so, you don't have to recommend something different. I don't want to worry about having issues with the parts.

How about nvidia 560i and 2G mushkin PC4200 DDR2 ?

If you want to, you may wait little later in february to get the new Geforce 9 cards.

Only problem I see is the probability of having to send a motherboard back in, since there are apparently reports of dead ones.

Also, shouldn't I get a fan for the video card?

It already comes with one, unless you want to replace it with a third-party cooler.
As for the mobo, I chose it only because it offers DDR2 and DDR3 support. You can replace it with the ASUS P5K or the Abit IP35 Pro if you want. Another mobo with DDR2 and DDR3 support is the MSI P35 Neo Combo, but it's not a great overclocker.

If you wants to have a gamer motherboard get either

Asus Striker Extreme ( Support SLi)

or

Asus Maximus ( Support Crossfire)

overclocking is overrated. Buy the specs you want and be happy with it.

As for 'dead motherboards' in the reviews, you'll see those everywhere, stick with one that has a warranty and good customer service. I use ASUS and they work great, i did fry my MB but it was my fault, they still serviced it and got it back in a reasonable time frame.

I also need a monitor, but I'm not including the cost of it with the rest of the computer, so no one needs to go back and redo the other parts.

Also need a case, and since I've been putting everything off for so long, the DVD burner is gone. And are there any additional cables I might need?

I don't want to go too far on the monitor, so also looking for a recommendation for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back