First Time Installing A Graphics Card, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chza56

Hello to everyone in this forum. You've helped me on my quest in finding the right graphics card for my Sony Vaio RS610. I ended up getting the XFX GEForce 6200 256MB. My question to you before I install it is, is there something I have to uninstall with the Integrated Intel Extreme 3D Graphics that is in the system already? Or can I just attach this card and go from there? I mean there isn't a physical card for me to remove, so do I even have to uninstall the drivers or whatever it has? Or will by me installing this graphics card into the AGP slot take over for it automatically? Any help will be much appreciated!

i've done this before, so i can tell you it's actually a lot easier than you think.

ok, there is a specific order to do things in to make things easy.

1) first i'd plug the chip into the slot. make sure it is seated snugly, and tighten the screws so it doesn't move too much.

2) now, notice you have two monitor connections. one from your newly installed card, and the old one connected to your integrated graphics. for now, LEAVE IT plugged into the integrated graphics plug.

this is because you haven't yet installed the software, and told your computer there's new hardware in it.

3) turn your computer on and run the cd and have it install all the drivers and stuff.

4) go into your device manager, and now disable the integrated graphics. if you dunno how to navigate there, here's how.

start > control panel > system > hardware tab > device manager

go into your display adapters and right click the integrated graphics chip and select disable. make sure your newly installed graphics card is in the list, and fully enabled.

5) turn off your computer.

6) plug the monitor cable into the video card plug.

7) turn it on

you don't have to uninstall anything. you just have to leave it disabled. it's also better if you don't uninstall anything because you may need that integrated graphics chip to install other graphics chips, or use it for trouble shooting purposes.

the way it works is, your computer can only see and use whatever is listed in its software. if you haven't installed the software, it can't see whatever you want to use. so just plugging in a graphics chip will not do you any good. you won't be able to see anything when you plug in your monitor to it and try to use it.

according to the computer, it doesn't exist yet. hence the reason you have to install drivers and stuff. it adds the new hardware and the stuff it needs in order to use it. stuff like USB does this automatically so it doesn't need a cd or anything like that.

so what that means is, you have two graphics cards installed and running at the same time. it can only use one at a time because you only have one monitor. so you have to disable one. hence the device manager section.

just thought i'd clarify to make sure you didn't have any misconceptions.

Thank You

I am going to try this as soon as i get home. You said you did this on the same Sony Vaio PC?

i've done it on various computers before. i was just saying i've installed plenty of chips before.

regardless of the brand, if it's a desktop pc, the process is the same.

I Did It

I followed your instructions. I inserted the card into the AGP slot, but then the PC did everything on its own. When I went to display devices it had taken off the internal graphics card and it only had listed my new graphics card. Pretty sweet. I didn't have to do a thing. Everything is running fine now that I added this card and 2GB of RAM to my old faithful Sony Vaio. Hi-Yooooooo!!

wow. lucky you!

congrats! have fun with your new graphics card. you may officially tear into some of the more recent games. the ones released this year however may be too much for that particular card unfortunately. the 6200, though decent, is too weak to handle stuff like bioshock or crysis or anything like that. you'd need one of the 8800 series for that.

but hey. at least you know what to do for when you upgrade again. cheers!

8800.. hmmmmm, I would probably have to upgrade my power supply right? MY PSU is only 295w or 266, one of those two. I just wanted something decent in there to help with the overall appearance and running of the system. In the past 3 days I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB and installed this graphics card. I didn't know I had it in me. I'd like to play Bioshock, but I think I'm going to have to pass. I am a die hard Playstation 3 fan and have that running in my livingroom. My PC in my bedroom is now set for what I wanted which is it running better and smoother, and playing my Leisure Suit Larry game, the one about his nephew in Magna Caume Laude. 3-D galore.. LOL

it's not as out of reach as you might think. the latest model they put out is their best bang for the buck out there. the 8800 gt which comes in a 256 mb and 512mb version. the 512 operates almost as well as the 8800 ultra 768 mb. and performs better than the 640 mb.

the 256 isn't bad either. the 256 is priced at about 200 dollars. very low price for that kind of performance. the 512 is about 270 which isn't bad either. but if i were you, i'd stick with buying the 256 and a new power supply if you're interested in putting in the effort.

i know of a really good 80 dollar power supply that will power that pc of yours, and even provide headroom for the future. it's the antec earthwatts 500 watt power supply.

again, this is only if you even feel like putting the effort into it. you have what you need so you really have no reason to and as you said, you have your ps3. unless you really really really want to play bioshock, then you can pretty much ignore any upgrades for a long time.

however, if you do want to look into it, here is the link for the power supply. the gt is out of stock almost everywhere, so it'll be up to you to find one. i'm having enough trouble as it is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

happy hunting. glad i could help.

Hello let me clarify a few things. As far as I know the 8800GT ($270-$310) is about 70%-75% of the 8800GTX ($485-$597). The 8800Ultra ($598-$707) is even more powerful than the GTX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back