First time linux user

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
i wanted to create a server using linux. how do i go about this. is Redhat v9 ok to use? will it be ok to use with my other computer that currently is using winxp? do i need a firewall for this?

appreciate your advice:)

Welcome to the club!

You need to read this thread, which will explain everything you need to know.

There is a built in firewall in Red Hat and other linuxes, called lokkit. You will be asked to input some parameters during installation (provided you did a custom install) and you can modify the settings later using lokkit. Its pretty secure.

Also, try to switch off (or not install in the first place) services that you will not be using, as "less is more" - i.e. the less you put on, the more secure your box is, as you have less potential for security holes.

Install Ximian GNOME and use Red Carpet to keep the box up to date with fixes, etc. Use ssh, and never ftp or telnet.

Thanks for your help. just one more question. when i download redhat v9 do i just put the cd in and does it just install from there? Will this be ok to be put on an older computer

Yes, just burn to CDs. Alternatively, Red Hat installer can also use images straight from the hard disk if the filesystem is supported, or from local network, ftp or http.

Just burn the .iso files to CDs, then go into BIOS, set to boot from CD, and then boot from CD with CD1 in the drive.

Anything we can do to help you, just post.

I am getting a lot of help right now with C++ from others, so its only fair that I pass on that help to someone who can benefit from things that I know.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Use ssh, and never ftp or telnet.

But if it's a webserver, wouldn't it require FTP access? Especially for other people helping out at the site?

I don't think so, you can tunnel with ssh. I am unsure of how exactly this works, but I am pretty sure it is done that way.

I am also sure that I will get corrected or a better explination by someone else who knows a better deal about this than me.

For uploading files, remotely, I know that you can do it FTP but I don't know if it's the only way.

There are many ways to send data from one machine to the other.

FTP is very insecure - encryption is non-existant, and to make matters worse this includes the authentication - the sending of the username and the password pair to the server.

Its possible for me to spy on an ftp session and learn a lot about it.

This is NOT true of ssh (secure shell). That has strong encryption, not just for authentication but also for the transmittion of the actual data.

You get sftp which is secure ftp, which is a part of ssh.

You also get nice client software for ssh for windows and all UNIX, etc....

www.ssh.com

There are also ways like Frontpage server extentions, which you can get working on apache if its compiled in. www.apachetoolbox.com does this.

And what's sad is that a good chunk of percent of webservers out there only give FTP access.

Well, why should anyone want to steal or deface pictures of your cat or your boring blog? :p

Believe me, there are people around who want to do it just so they can say that they did.

But if its a business that you are hosting a web site, beware.

Originally posted by Nodsu
Well, why should anyone want to steal or deface pictures of your cat or your boring blog? :p

Well actually, I'm a webmaster to one site right now, and was a webmaster to 12 sites a while ago.

I had a few enemies, always trying to look for a hole or some way to deface my sites.

And my other site, SCN, pulling in about 1000 unique a day, alot of jealous webmasters were out there with their collegues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back