Fit 701mb on a 700mb CD-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdmk

Can I fit 701mb on a 700mb CD-R?
My cd-writer doesn't support overburn, but could 701mb still fit on the disk?

Thanks.

If your Cd doesn't support overburn, you will not be able to overburn!
However you may be able to compress your 701 MB files to make them smaller and fit within the 700mb limit

701mb of files wil likely fit on one CD. Have you tried burning it already? Most CD burning programs will stop you if it won't fit. Try ti burn it first and then see.

Depending on what it is, it may appear much smaller on a CD.

I tried multiple tests with Nero, and everything went fine. I then tried to burn it and I got a coaster :(

Nero said that it would need to finalise the disk, so as to fit on the disk. Ah well, another £1 down the drain..:(

If I buy a 800mb/90min CDR and burn to that, do I need to have a CDRW drive that supports overburn? Or will it work anyway?

P.S. I have a hp 9100 series CD-Writer (8x4x32). I've checked the HP site, and can't find info on my Cd-Writer. I've looked at the documentation that came with my cd-writer, and it says nothing about 800mb CDRs.

Could also be media. Some 700 MB media is only ~697, and some are more than 700. Also - what file format? Is it just one file or just a bunch of data files?

LNCPapa

multiple files

If I buy a 800mb/90min CDR and burn to that, do I need to have a CDRW drive that supports overburn? Or will it work anyway?

Again I ask the above. Anybody?

Well - it appears, after looking here that you probably do need a burner capable of overburning. I would keep an eye on this page or search for one more updated to see if your drive shows up on it. I don't see your 9100 series on here yet and I doubt you'll see it now that I look again as the slowest drive on the list is 12x.

LNCPapa

Have you tried to do a copy . I have one with 738 on it.
Nero compressed it to fit.
You have nothing to lose trying,use test burn.

I think must be a record.. Resurrect a thread 5 years old?

How the hell did you find it anyway? :p

Doubt its a problem anymore, probably any burner that is currently working will support overburning.

?

halo71 said:
Damn, he's been dipping way back in the archives for that one! :)
What one ? What archive.? :D
Is it about this topic ?
==================
Nice if hdmk dropped by and kept us informed.
Quote : Again I ask the above to hdmk ?

lol, well I said "archive". Just because you replied to a post that was 5 years old! Not really an archive folder or anything. :p

You are still asking this question of hdmk? Read SNGX's post above.

Zipperman, The problem is hdmk's last post on these forums was on 05-24-2003, today is 6-13-2007. That over 4 years ago. While I don't expect you to have known or checked when his last post is, it is a bit perplexing how you dug up a post over 5 years old without realizing it. That is why Nodsu, Howard, halo, and myself have made the comments we did.

Oops again,I have the habit of replying to unanswered posts and not
noticeing the date.I'm actually looking for MY unanswered posts.
Some posters just vanish.

A lot of posters just vanish, the reason for this is simple. Someone has a problem and only joins Techspot to get help with it. Once they`ve got the solution they need, they tend not to come back again, until the next problem arises and in some cases they never come back.

BTW: You`re not the only one to post in an old thread. I did it myself when I first joined Techspot, until it was pointed out to me. ;)

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for your support

I do reply to some dated posts and wonder why this member got no replies
and very few reads.They may be watching their email.
But my big gripe is not to be notified that a problem was solved and how.
I join forums as a place of learning.
I don't usually post other Forums but i'll make this exception since it's
responded to by computer magazine columnists.I'm a subscriber.
http://forums.pcworld.com/forums/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back