Fitting CPU heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher2006

Hello, I need help, ive just recieved all the parts for my new computer..and I fitted the CPU and the heatsink but im not sure if the black lever is on the right side, or does it really matter, the heatsink is in place now and I cant take it off becuase I dnt have anymore thermal pads or paste..I show sum pictures

Attachments

• DSC00311.JPG
    DSC00311.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00312.JPG
    DSC00312.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 12
I`m not sure if it matters or not.

However, the pic may help.

testing.jpg

Regards Howard :)

hmm i hope not, on your picture, is the black cam lever on the side we cant see fully?... if so thats what i have done..also the guru chip tells me theese temperatures:

CPU: 49 - 50 dregrees

SYS: 37 dregrees

PWR: 40 degrees

do theese sound normal, and i only had msn and winamp running?

i have the stock AMD fan and heatink wich had grey pad on it and i have no paste on the chip will that lower the temperature along with a good fan?

Yes in my pic, the black cam lever is on the side furthest away as you look at the pic.

Those temps do seem a little on the high side.

Getting some good thermal paste may well lower your temps.

Regards Howard :)

well that has put me at ease, becuase my cam is configed like yours, and i presume ur system is stable....and yeah i think one day i will get sum thermal paste,my freind says its rubbish but if i can get my temps down to 38 idle i will b happy, another thing is that its was 50 on desktop and with msn and winamp open, then i installed call of duty and played that for about 10 mins and it only read 51 degrees, bit strange

i have just realised my topic title is wrong, it is supposed to be CPU heatink, anyways in installed doom 3 and played for about 20 minutes and the temp on my UGruu clock read 52 degrees and i get about 49 50 when on desktop...so i dno whats going on

Awww... I was really interested in seeing how you can add some heatsinks into a PSU. :p

Anyway, 50's is pretty high to idle at, like Howard says. Nothing to be alarmed of anyway.

lol. haha so was i :D...yeah it seems high and i dnt really like it, yesterday was worse, my PCU was at 55 degrees on COD and my GPU tmep was 55 and PWM was at 48 and SYS was 43...i dont want it to blow i only just got the damn thing lol

get yourself some arctic silver grease. spread about a 1mm layer on the top of the CPU use a credit card, razor, straight-edge etc.... leave about a 2mm space around the edges so you don't get any on the motherboard. (it's conductive)

when putting the CPU fan on, apply smooth, even pressure, be careful and don't force it. You can break it if you're not careful. Use your fingers to snap on rather than a flat screwdriver if possible.
Ensure you GROUND yourself at all times.

I don't know why people recommend using credit cards to scrape it off.... I did that and for some reason there's now a grey smudge on mine.

I wouldn't recommend using a credit card. Definately not your platinum one. ;)

Try some other hard card that doesn't really matter to you.... say one for the local pub? Maybe not....

p.s. read the instructions on how to apply Arctic Silver 5 online here

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

yeh i think thats best, because this is my baby now, i dont want it overheating...the heatsink that is on the CPU atm, is stock from AMD and that had a grey thermal pad i presume how do i get the heatsink off the CPU will it come off easily becuase i dont want to break the CPU..and what do you recommend for getting the pad residue off the CPU and heatsink...or is it best to get a better heatsink and a better fan?

To get the gunk off the CPU and heatsink, just use isopropyl alcohol. Depends on what type of thermal paste was on before, cos I just found out some crappy stuff they used for my Northbridge cannot be removed totally.

Personally, I think the best is to follow guidelines, which is not to have a heatsink heavier than... 500g? Most heatsink solutions these days are heavier than that, and may cause motherboard problems if not handled properly.

For best HSF (heatsink + fan) solution, I'd get something that comes seperately. As in, the fans come seperately. Off the top of my head, I remember the Hyper48 works pretty well, and cheap too.

After that, just get a huge 80mm-120mm converter, and put on a HUGE 120mm fan, with a decent CFM.

Other people may have other ideas. Watercooling for example, which suddenly I find I have a craving for.

Hmm all taken into account....if ya see, this is temp from Everest but there same as my Guru chips says they are....as you can see this is just with Msn open, winamp and Xfire and normal processes?

Attachments

• Temps.JPG
    Temps.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 5
Come to think of it, 46C on stock cooling is actually about normal. Maybe a few Cs higher than what I'd expect them to be.

My CPU is running 33 but thats with a copper HS and a huge CFM fan (which sounds like a rocket). Idle of course.

yeah i think maybe im being overcautious, it never goes above 58 on full load so i think maybe its jsut the crappy AMD stock cooling...thx for all your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back