Fix Windows errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

This is my first time on this forum and i am not sure how it works however i have a problem that i do not know how to fix, my Hp laptop has a bad sector which just so happens to have my windows files in them, the error message comes back saying that the file C:\windows\winnt32\systems\config.sys and the start up stops there. in the past i would be able to run the install cd disc and reinstall windows and keep my folders in tack. but know it says that it can not find or create a file called windows. but when i reboot it comes back to the f9 prompt. My question is there a way to place scandisk or defrage on to a boot disk and move the windows file to another sector so it will start. Any thing you can do to help is much needed..

Chas

post your OS version and SP level
C:\windows\winnt32\systems\config.sys says this is not Win/XP

This is a bogus error message. I don't know what caused it. I got it one day out of nowhere when trying to boot my Windows XP SP2 desktop.

You need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to CD first, Save and Exit. Put the Windows XP CD in and if you are as fortunate as I was, the CD will boot and you system will be intact. You should not need to boot into the Recovery Console.

I keep lean and clean machines, but the message from hell came from no where and finally went back to where it came from.

Be careful. Good luck.

maybe when that paticualr XP box you boought, microsoft messed up thedata

possibly microsfts or PC manufacterers fault

No, mine wasn't messed up and likely his isn't either. I had my system for 5 years, clean and lean, before this happened to me.

You going to have to boot from the CD but may have to change the BIOS to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back