Fixing up old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Hi, i have a cupple of questions about a computer i was fixin up for my 5 year old bro, this comp is probibly windows 98, when i first booted the computer it said

"CPU ERROR CMOS sometihing" so i look up the error message on goole and they said i need a new battery, i got the exct battry uput it in the computer and now a new error message "COMS BATTERY LOW PRESS F1 TO CONTINU" i pluged in the keybord and the damn thing broke, so i said fine and pluged in the other one and that broke at this poind i was redy to distroy it snice the keybords were my brothes,i dont know y they r braking, the oins are breaking on the keybord wire.

Im puzzled and angey, willa usb keybord work? and can someone help me please.

Thanks

the pins are breaking? have you checked how youre putting the keyboard in? also have you checked to see if there arent already broken pins clogging the keyboard socket?

as for the CMOS issue, now that the new battery is in, things will probably need to be reset (power everything off, unplug the power, and switch the jumper next to the battery for about 10 seconds, then switch it back) and configured.

I don't know if that will work, but its worth a try, and the keyboard issue is strange.

I agree with xChuck, you will need to reset the CMOS and unplug everything for a bit then hook it back up. As far as the keyboard goes, I'm not sure what could be causing that. You must be jamming that thing in there, because if it doesn't go on first push,something is wrong and needs to be looked at. Have a look and see if a pin is broken off in the motherboard as Chuck said.

thanks all

now i get the same damn error as i did when i got the computer its a CPU ERROR CMOS CHECKSOME ERROR and wat jumper by the battry it doesnt have a jumper there not ontop of the battrey any way.

and the leyborad doesnt rok it blinks once but i cnt press F1 as it says to do, to setup CMOS

You do not need to set the clear CMOS jumper if you replaced the battery. That error message is quite normal and merely means the BIOS has been set to the default configuration settings - and is asking you to set it up.

You will need to go into BIOS Setup though, which of course will require a keyboard.

As mentioned above, I think you need to check the ps/2 connector make sure there is nothing inside the socket, and make sure you are putting the keyboard in the proper orientation. The pins on the keyboard connector aren't very durable and can snap easily if you push it in the wrong way.

But when i put the keyboard in it flashes all the lites on leyord flash and it dont work i fress delete and F1 but noithnig. I did reset CMOS by putting the jumper to the other possition booting the pc and shuuting sown unplugging and putting the jumper right spot. I till get the same damn error message i dont get it. I am stummped. Please help. and i get 2 shot beeps and 1 long one. n e help is apperesiated.

Thanks.

no, its the right socket i think it fits firmly into the socket but there all black so its hard to tell the difference and it has usb 1.1 or erraitlyer i thnik so usb keybord mite workout if BIOS deticks it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back