Flash Drive -> autoplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisLam

I have a Geek Squad 1GB flash drive with U3 smart technology. Every time I plug it in, I enter my password, then a whole barrage of "Autoplay" thingies pop up. It is really annoying. Is there anyway to get rid of this? Is it because I have a few folders on the root of the drive?

Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Chris

I was hoping not to remove the U3 thing. The U3 thing acts as a virtual CD and the the flash drive acts as removable media. If I don't logon and try to click the "Removable Disk", it tells me to insert blah blah. Then, I logon, then I can use the removable media, then all these Autoplay popups come up. Even disabling the password causes popups from the removable drive not the virtual CD

Sounds like there is some type of autorun file in the root of the flashdrive. I have a U3 drive and don't get any popups.

follow Nodsu's advice -- the U3 info is totally unnecessary and is the cause of
the popups.
I just let it flop about and then select View Folders.

With the U3 uninstalled, the device will act just like a Removable USB drive
you expect.

Which programs get launched at connection is up to the vendor of the specific U3 drive. The ability to autorun arbitrary rubbish is the "beauty" of U3.

You can try disabling autorun in general of course..

The reason I keep the U3 thingy is because of the password protection. Is there any FREE software that will offer my flash drive password protection, meaning plug it in, and can only access files after typing in the correct password?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back