Flash drive shuts down windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SDCZ6-512 Scandisk Cruzer Micro 512MB USB retractable.

I've read most of the threads about flash drives and haven't seen this problem discussed yet.

My flash drive has been working like a charm in...
my home computer (2004 Compaq Presario 61 win XP),
my mother's new computer (Dell XPS 410 win XP)
my son's new computer (Dell XPS 410 win XP
my mothers old computer (win 98 after downloading a driver
my brother in law's (Dell 2004 vintage win XP).

Yesterday it stopped working on my mother's new Dell bringing up a nasty looking blue screen with a page of steps to consider.

Basically it says

A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the 1st time you've seen this Stop Error, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continute, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF7DrA638, 0x0000002, 0x0000001, 0xF743DE54)
***iastor.sys - Address F743DE54 base @ F7408000, Datestamp 44ad174b

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or techinical support group for further assistance.

When I restarted the computer I found my way to a screen that suggested I download, install, and run Dell Driver Reset Tool. I did and it found no problems.

And when I tried the flash drive again the same thing happened. And again.

However, it still works fine in my Compaq and in my mother's old win98 machine. I've not had the opportunity to try it in the other Dell XPS 410 yet.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back