Flashing bios to kt3 ultra2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm just trying to flash my bios, as I have an athlon 2000+ and the actual bios doesn't let me go over 100 fsb (and that means not over 1250 mhz clock!). I downloaded a6380vms.507 bios with flash utility amifl827 from msi site, and created a dos boot disk with ntfsdos (so that I can 'see' my drives). I followed all the instructions on the msi site (downloaded the bios and flash utility to c:test, then reatart with boot disk, loaded amifl827 a6380vms.507 from the 'test' dir) but when I hit enter the computer just starts sounding something like an alarm, and nothing more happens!

Please some help!

Does the mobo work again when you flush the bios? Did you use live update to get the new bios?

Yes, it works, but doesn't look like it really flashed the bios, it just makes that strange sound until I reboot.
I had already used live update but didn't change my bios, than I just downloaded the files from msi site.

thanks for helping

Live update wont change the bois for you but it will make sure that you get the correct bios for your mobo. I have updated my bios 3 times so far and trust live update to always get me the correct files.

It seems the most likley reason why it didnt work. Try live update, then click on live bios and try that. Let me know how you get on and if you need anymore help.

I succeded in updating the bios following your instructions, Thank you... but still, when I change the fsb to 133 and run windows the system crashes in a few minutes even if idle! I have a clock of 1250 mhz at 100 fsb now! :( I thought that the new bios should have fixed the problem!

Do you have any idea?

Thanks however!

Glad i could help, what you will need to do now is what I had to do. You will need to experiment with fsb speeds, it all depends on your hardware. For example, I used to use an nvidia graphics card and ran my fsb at 144, i now have an ati card and had to down clock to 141. You can also use fuzzy logic to experiment, but be warned, it will crash your pc as it tests to the extreme. I have tested with it many times and although it crashes windows, it doesnt do any harm.

Hello Fabrizio and welcome to Techspot.

We need your full system specs. Go HERE and read my post.

Is the heatsink properly attatched? Is the themal paste in good order.

What speed of ram do you have?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

You will need to experiment with fsb speeds, it all depends on your hardware. For example, I used to use an nvidia graphics card and ran my fsb at 144, i now have an ati card and had to down clock to 141. You can also use fuzzy logic to experiment, but be warned, it will crash your pc as it tests to the extreme. I have tested with it many times and although it crashes windows, it doesnt do any harm.

It's just strange because the xp 2000+ is supposed to work at 133 fsb normally (not overclocked). I didn't mean to do something special, just to have what I bought.

Yup

Mmm strange huh.

Have you downloaded the latest chipset drivers?

I know this is a stupid question, but are you sure that your cpu is in fact an AMD athlon xp2000+?. Just clutching at straws.

What does your mobo manual say about changing the fsb?

Regards Howard :cool:

Everest says that it's a 'Palomino'. It doesn't say if it is a 2000+ or else... I'm not sure of anything anymore... however at startup the screen says xp 2000+.

edit: sorry, I was not right. It doesn't say it anywhere! Is there a way to know it exactly?

Thanks

Hmmm, something isnt right there. If i were u id check out all the numbers on the processor and search for em online to see if u can get more info as to what it is. I would also use fuzzy logic to find out what it willl run at as it wont do any harm. As i said before, i had to experiment with mine and its working perfectly (i only have the one pc).

Just had a thought, a friend had a palamino and i think it was an 1800, not sure tho.

I agree with Rik. Something`s not quite right. Go HERE and download the AMD Cpuid programme. It may help you to identify exactly what cpu you have.

Regards Howard :cool:

Until now, using cpuid and cpuinfo, I could only retrieve theese informations:
Processor name: AMD Athlon(tm)
Max speed: 1320mhz (cpuid), 1325mhz (cpuinfo) (note that I actually have set the clock to 1319mhz quite stabily)
Family (or Generation): 7
Model: 6
Step: 2
L1 data cache size: 64k
L1 instruction cache size: 64k
L2 cache size: 256k
No more informations that I can understand or decipher...

I tried to compare this informations with lists in the Amd site, but either the site is very confusing, either they simply don't have informations on old processors anymore (I could find specs for Athlon xp 2800, 3000, 3200), I couldn't find what processor do I own.

Waiting for more help :blush: !

Meanwhile, thanks a lot! :wave:

Its definately not an xp2000+ cos thats what ive got and when i ran cpuid on it the results were totally different. I recon u have a 1600 or a 1800.

Even an athlon 1600 or 1800 should run with an fsb of 133mhz.

Maybe you have a ram problem. What is the speed of your ram?

Download and run the Memtest86+ programme from www.memtest.org

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd, and then boot from that.

This will check for possible ram problems.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, I didn't have time to let it run for so much time (but I'm living it for the night), I just did it for 3 passes and no errors were made. Meanwhile I wanted you to have pecifications of my two memories.
I attached the cpu-z images.

Thanks again guys! :)

So, it ran for 6h 50min now for a total of 11 passes and made 0 errors! I really don't understand! :confused:

Attached some images of everest's benchmark on memories!

Bye

Obviously no ram problems then.

I honestly don`t know what else to suggest.

I guess we`re back to the problem of the cpu.

Maybe your only option now is to take the cpu out and examine the numbers on it.

This has got me totally stumped.

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

I'm maybe gonna do that, but, for what I could understand, a Palomino should range between 1500+ and 2200+, and should always support fsb133!

Thanks very much anyway!

Fabrizio said:
I'm maybe gonna do that, but, for what I could understand, a Palomino should range between 1500+ and 2200+, and should always support fsb133!

Thanks very much anyway!

Yes you are correct. The 1500+ and the 2200+ both run at an fsb of 133mhz.

This is what I don`t understand.

Let me know what you find out once you take a look at the cpu.

Regards Howard :D

I did it!!!! :bounce: :hotbounce :giddy: :D !!!

The problem was that I had to lock the memory speed to 133fsb, I did it and now it runs at 1667mhz!!!

The only problem is that temperature is rising (62°c now), is it very bad? I just have a stock fan!

Thanks very much for the help! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back