Floppy drive is missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ831

Ok so I had to reinstall the system hive on my Computer and I noticed I had to reinstall a couple of things (all printers, and scanner). I'm also missing my floppy drive! Does anyone know how I can get this drive back? I have a dell optiplex gx-150...thanks in advance....

Go to Dell's site, and find the support page for your system. It should have all your drivers there for you to download. Good luck!

Floppy drives do not need any drivers.. Assuming you have Windows XP, you don't even need any special drivers for your USB or ZIP floppy drive.

Is the device listed in Device Manager? Does your BIOS recognise the drive?

Ok, I looked in the device manager and under "Floppy Disk Controllers" it says "standard floppy disk controller" and there's no exclamation so I think it should be working fine....however, it's not in "My Computer". Also, I put in a disk and tried to open it in the command prompt and it said "this drive is not recognized"..... :confused:

Does the BIOS detect the floppy drive? Try uninstalling thye floppy controller and letting Windows redetect it after a reboot.

Also, look for a BIOS option that says something like "Enable floppy drive seek on startup," and make sure it is enabled. Some boxes really do seem to need this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back