Floppy drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudeboy

oi~

just installed XP, and suddenly my floppy drive doesn't work properly, Windows says in the device manager that it works. i can boot from the drive but when i'm in XP it keeps saying "Please insert a disk into drive A:" (while there is a disk in it, tried various disks that do work in other pc's i have) it also appears that the icon of the floppy drive has an "H" on top of the disk, haven't been using XP for a long time so not sure if that's normal or not.

thanks in advance.

It's a good idea to remove floppies;CD's etc before shutdown as Win tries to keep everything so-so causing glitches and other memory errors on restart...

patio. :cool:

All floppy drive is compatible and is supported by all kinds of Operating System especially Windows. It doesn't even need a certain driver right? Floppy drive is what I call Plug n Play (which the computer install them right away after it is detected).

How long have you been using that floppy drive? Have you tried replacing the floppy with a new one? or with your friend's floppy drives? (oh.. make sure you know how to connect the FDD cable to the drive correctly)

I think you got a bad drive.

rudeboy said:
and as sudden as it stopped working it started working again... :}

aidsministrator i think the problem was solved. And no you do not need drivers for floppies. As far as the cable goes, when it is put in upside down the LED will come on and stay on.

Sean

it was working... and it always worked when i boot from it, but just now once again it stopped working and it's getting frustrated.

my guess is it must be something in XP because i can boot from the disk w/o a problem.. btw. i exchanged both the drive & the cable and still the pc can boot from it but once i'm in XP it doesn't work..

Ok I don't think your motherboard is partly bad. If you think your operating system (XP) is causing this problem, then try running System File Checker. type sfc /scannow in Run or Dos window. You have to prepare your XP CD. This checker will restore the corrupted system file from that cd.

If you want to use my super solution, just back-up your important files & format your pc. Then install OS. It sure works! ::LOL::

i ran the system file checker and it didn't help (unfortunatly).. the super solution won't work either i guess because the floppy stopped working AFTER i re-installed XP :{

Wow.. weird problem you got here. I think you have a bad floopy drive controller. (or bad driver. yes I know we don't need a driver to install floppy drive but the OS originally has it)

Have you tried checking the status of your floppy drive in System Information? (Accesories > System Tools > System Information)

You can try the Find What function (at the bottom of the system window) and type floppy in the search field and keep on clicking the find next button. Check all the status. Is it OK or not?

This is not a solution but just a suggestion. Pretty good to check.

tried all of the above with no luck so i (yet again :} re-installed XP... all excited that the drive worked (YEAH!!!) i started making a backup and as you all know XP wants to write some files to a floppy after a backup, anyway.. now the issue is that XP keeps saying that the disk is write protected while it's not (yes, tried several other formatted disks t ono avail)... anyway any idea why XP says the disk is write protected (while it's 100% sure NOT :}

thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back