Floppy............Not Found Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frag-o

Hi all, This is my first post. I can usually figure out what is wrong but this one has me stumped.

My secondary machine, if you need the specs I'll post them, or in my profile (second machine). I went to reinstall XP on it well it was going fine then when I had to reboot to finish the install, it went all wrong. It did it's system check, then the BIOS check, then it went to look for the floppy drive like it always has. After a few seconds it said NOT FOUND, and rebooted, It will do that forever. I tried fixing the BIOS, I tried resetting the CMOS, after I tried 3 different floppy drives, and 5 ribbon cables. I thought maybe I screwed something up in the BIOS so I tried flashing it with an updated BIOS but it said floppy failure. The floppy LED lights up, I hear it pop and click like it is trying to work but nothing. Can anyone help? I really need this machine running my family wants to use my machines I am getting tired of beating them with a stick to keep them away from my real machine.

Make sure that the power supply is hooked up correctly to the drive. Sometimes if it gets put on there backwards it will do funny things like this.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

I have tried every cable in this machine a thousand times, it has been down for about 2 months. I even bought a new game just to intice myself to get it working. But thanks for the advice, and thanks for the welcome. I always check cables, plugs and cards when ever I get a problem, I can't tell you how many times friends and family call me to come and fix their computers. When I get there they simpely have kicked the printer cable lose or the phone line lose.:) Talk about a wasted trip across town for nothing, now that is the first thig I tell them when they call, check all your plugs. Anyother suggestions will still be taken though, I am completely stumpped.

Why do you need it to look for the floppy?

If you disabled all refereneces to it, like bootup floppy seek, take it out of your boot sequence, will the machine boot ok then?

Also, just for curiosity, how were u flashing your BIOS without the floppy? :)

Your floppy controller could very well be faulty (assuming evrything is properly connected). As Greeno said, you don't need a floppy to install WinXP, so you can always disable the floppy drive in your bios.

I've had similar problems with floppy drives, but every time the problem was the drive itself. Funnily enough, even when I disabled fdd controller from BIOS , set it to have no floppy drives and to report "No fdd" to Win95, Windows® still insisted that fdd controller was present but not working.

I said I tried flashing it, just wishing upon a star it would fix the problem. I know it was a long shot but I can dream can't I.:)

I'll try doing it with out a floppy, I seem to remember trying that, but I guess I didn't.

Thanks for all your help. If there is anymore advice I'll gladly take it.

Are you sure it's not finding the floppy drive that is the problem? If the floppy drive seeks, then it means that BIOS has actually recognised it. The thing done after the floppy checkup may be the problem (e.g. HD controller)

When the computer is booting up, a line on the screen says searching for Floppy drive..... for a few seconds. Then flashes Not Found for a fraction of a second. I didn't notice it said that at first, until by chance I was staring at the screen in that area and it flashed it real quick and reboots right away. I tried 3 floppy drives, and 5 different ribbon cables. I guess I really don't need a floppy disk, but it is a pride thing no stupid machine will beat me. Well not in the long run.

So should I check my Hard drive?

I am at my wits end. I don't want to sound like an ***hole, but this is driving my crazy. I appericate all your help I have been to other tech boards before and those guys were "to l33t for me", I only tried here because it seemed like a descent place.

Well first of all thank you for the compliment. We try to keep it clean and informative for all users.

As far as your floppy drive, it sounds like the pins on your mobo might be bad, since you have tried so many drives and ribbons. Or could a pin be bent???

You sure it doesn't say

"Searching for 'Boot record' on floppy drive...Not Found[after a few secs]"

in which case is quite normal :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back