Floppy not ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

When I try to use my floppy drive I get an error message....Drive A:\ not ready. When I check my Device manager it says it is working properly. I have checked the floppy disk and it is not write protected and I tried other manufacturer disks and I know they are ok because I tried them on my other comps. What could be the problem?
I know the drive is good because it worked before I started upgrading my P100 now P200 (overclocked) and upgraded tonight from 16 ram to 48 ram.......why are the old comps so cluttered that it is so hard to move inside them?
Ray

You answered your own question..
First thing to do.. Remove the overclock!

Then, double check with a good floppy drive from another computer.
Then look at possibly bad RAM.

Hi
Ok...I tried it all.....I took off my overclock and then checked all the connections and then I put in another floppy drive. Now I get 2 beeps and the A:Drive Error message. I even switched the ribbon hoping for a miracle.
It's an old computer so I really don't care too much about the floppy I just want it to work because it doesn't. Things like this annoy me (more lost sleep tonight)......I have a CD reader in now as well, but if I copy something from my new computer to CD and then place it in the old (one with the A: Drive Error) it's not compatible.........so can I take out my CD reader and replace it with a CD/WR (that works) and will this then read the CD that is from the newer computer? I hope I haven't lost you by now!!
I figure it has to be a connection but everything says it is working.
Ray

The floppy problem sounds like the controller, which would mean you'd have to replace the mobo to fix it.
As for the CDROM, thats a common problem with older CDROM drives. You could likely replace it with a newer drive, or a CDRW(if the machine isn't too old to support the CDRW) and solve that problem.

I had already replaced the floppy drive in this older machine once before because it was acting up and the new one never worked at first either but it worked after fiddling with it. Now it doesn't work again. The Cd reader which is on a P166 can be replaced by my old CD/WR which is out of my P3 866 and it is basic......8x/4x.....so if this would work then CD swapping is easier the floppy swapping anyways........don't ya hate floppy swapping......."Now insert floppy disk #54 and press enter....:D

Ray

Wow...... got it figured out.....finally. It always says the red side of the ribbon goes on the 1 of the hardware. So why does it have a 1 one the wrong side of the floppy?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back