"Foam" case mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryo

I just saw this over at Slashdot.org, its got to be the craziest case mod I've ever seen. Check out the pics here. The guy more or less took a computer with no case, sprayed it down with a ton of quick fry foam, and now he's got a light mobile PC. I tried this once with a buddy but we ended up starting the thing on fire! ;-)

Man, that is awful looking! Very creative though.. I hope he never wants to switch out a PCI card..He'll have to chip away at that pile of stuff in order to get it out.

I have to give him credit for creativity but I dont think Id want that on my desk..

I'm going to throw the foul flag on that one. Maximum PC did an off beat article on weird stuff to do to a PC. They filled a case with all the componants installed with foam and it stopped working, they claimed it was the quietest PC in the world, because you can't power it on. I seriously doubt it actually works. Here are some reasons.

1. Why are the first 4 shots with a polaroid at a distance and blurry when the rest of the shots are nice digital pics ??

2. Why do we only see the computer from the front on the table ?

3. The monitor is not plugged into that computer, look at the cable comming from video card, it drops off the table.

4. Where is the MoBo and won't all that foam stop the cpu fan from running ??

5 . And with all that foam, where is the air circulating too ?? nothing is being cooled.

Yeah I know, who cares, and I am reading way too much into this. Its a good post but I just doubt it actually works, and if it did, it didn't work for more than a few seconds.

Well I was wondering the same about it, boeingfixer...

I noticed that that computer is awfully slow. Pentium MMX @ 200 MHz slow! :haha: My Amiga is faster...:eek:...

The CPU fan is probably connected by a hose to the air intake valve, if it even has one :haha:

It's a very good idea for just a few computer scraps lying around. I'd attempt one if I could...

Well, it is a 200Mhz Pentium I. Granted, they generated enough heat to eventually overheat, but I think it would last for a few minutes at the very least.

When I saw how FUGLY this case was, i couldn't stop laughing!!!

Originally posted by Rick

When I saw how FUGLY this case was, i couldn't stop laughing!!!

It looks like a cheap prop from Doctor Who.

(I.e. the Plasmaton's Death Computer!)

As long as the foam isn't obstructing the CPU fan it would work fine. Foam isn't conductive nor would it, in that condition, collect moisture.

I see no reason why it couldn't work, just really a waste of time and effort if you fail. Plus, foam is farely easy to chip and break, even the tough stuff.

Originally posted by Soul Harvester
As long as the foam isn't obstructing the CPU fan it would work fine. Foam isn't conductive nor would it, in that condition, collect moisture.

I assumed this too, but what bothered my was the static created by the foam. If it simliar to any other poly-foams out there, it probably collects large amounts of static electricity. :eek:

Otherwise, this case is an impressive monument to the most absolutely hideous creation man has ever offered... Looking at it is like gouging out your eyes with a Dr. Suess book.

Originally posted by Rick

but what bothered my was the static created by the foam. If it simliar to any other poly-foams out there, it probably collects large amounts of static electricity. :eek:

Actually, I know that one brand of that stuff in particular creates more static than most polystyrene foam. Unless they used the anti-static kind, which is unlikely because the anti-static foam doesn't expand much at all and this looks to have expanded quite a bit. I'm also wondering how they kept it from clogging things up like the PSU and the removable drives, that foam is a gooey liquid until it expands so it would run and fill any crack or hole it found. seems like it would fill the PSU up with foam.

I'd almost be willing to bet that it doesn't work. As someone already pointed out, the monitor isn't hooked to the unit(if you can call it that)

You know I was thinking about this usless computer. If he had any sense, and by the pic's he really doesn't, he should have put the componants in a box and then shot the foam. At least the computer would be more uniformily square when you cut the box off !!

box mod..

for people with tight budgets.. (ppl who have money to buy a P4 but not a case :D )

ps. the real story is that I got these mod pics in my inbox today and really wanted to share it here. I got the pics attached, so I don't know the actual website. it doesn't fit in the "funny pics" thread, nor does it deserve a whole thread. so I decided to just bump it here..

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 62
I wouldn't have my CPU fan sticking out like that. You might stick your finger in it by mistake or something.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back