Foam Sound Proofing for your Computer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

Recently while checking out which HSFs that www.frostytech.com had been reviewing I found this interesting article by one of their staff about his attempts to deaden the sound coming from his PC using some foam made specifically for sound proofing. Seems the results were not too bad.

From Frostytech :

For now, the ambient room sound level has dropped about 6 dBa, which is pretty good, and on closer inspection, the noise levels from the front and side of the case have been reduced by roughly 4-5 dBa. The sound levels vary slightly depending on how high up the case the meter is, so all measurements were made at the center line.

I didn't expect to see any reduction in the level of noise eminating from the rear of the case, so I was pleased with the 2 dBa drop, no matter how small it really may be. Case temperature rose only about 2 degrees (C), even though the front intake was blocked off by a piece of the sound absorbing material. I would guess that the dual fans in the Enermax powersupply have a lot to do with keeping things cool inside the Antec case.

I wasn't able to measure the noise frequencies before or after the modifications, but suffice to say, that with the decrease in noise level, the case is also much less "annoying."

[Keep an eye on this site for more articles in this series on Quiet Computing as we have only just scratched surface of what we have in store for you!]

I was talking to Per today on ICQ as I had to shutdown and fit my FIFTH hard drive inside my computer....

Oh, the noise! The noise! The terrible sound of whirring hard disks and fans and PSUs! Make it stop!

Maybe worth looking into this then ;)
Or even move the computer into another room from you....

Dynamat is also making a noise reduction kit. It isnt foam though and I believe that the installation is permanent.

You could always go for BOSE Noise-cancelling headphones...
or just steal some workmen's ear-defenders :haha:

P66; I'm considering watercooling and then foaming my harddrive...

It's really not more difficult than finding two pieces of metal and drill three holes in them, two from the top and one on the length, seal em of so it becomes a "system", next place them on the sides of the harddrives and connect hoses to them.

Now just find as much sound proof material as you can and wrap it around the harddrives; granted it won't look pretty but the harddrives will both become cold and quiet...

Alert my Star Destroyer...

Originally posted by Per Hansson
P66; I'm considering watercooling and then foaming my harddrive...

It's really not more difficult than finding two pieces of metal and drill three holes in them, two from the top and one on the length, seal em of so it becomes a "system", next place them on the sides of the harddrives and connect hoses to them.

Now just find as much sound proof material as you can and wrap it around the harddrives; granted it won't look pretty but the harddrives will both become cold and quiet...

Nice.

maybe i should foam the case then get a BIG fan installed in the front slots blowing air in...
but, nah... it'll just make the rig noisier...

Sound proofing

As with most of us power users, I too have many fans and bad hearing. What makes it worse is I work on aircraft for a living too. I saw an article in maximum pc I believe that covered this problem. There is a product now out that is like thim foam blankets you cut to fit and stick inside the case for sound deadining. let me check my back issues and see if i can find all the info for us.

oh the noise isnt that bad live with a while and it will finaly destroy all of are hearing to the point where you cant hear anything quiter than a nuclear blast. :hotbounce by the way anyone know where i can get a 120mm fan that is quite?

Surely the use of Foam etc. will make cases even hotter, and in turn increase the need for high rpm fans etc just to cool it?

From www.frostytech.com :

In any case, the Melamine Foam appeared to be a good sound absorber, and didn't seem to have too much of a thermal insulating value (last thing I want is to raise the temperature of the case) so I picked up a couple sheets and went back to the lab to try it out under real world conditions.

Internal Case Temp.: 27.9 (C) - Before 29.3 (C) - After

Depending on how strict your requirements for cooling are (which in turn is dependent on the degree of overclocking, number of hard disks etc) this doesn't seem to be that bad a solution. Less than 2(C) difference....
I'm sure the manufacturers of products which have been put together especially for this purpose have also taken heat buildup into consideration ;)

read the link
http://www.dynamat.com/
This explains the conversion of sound energy, into thermal energy.
It doesn't allow for the insulating effect of sound deadening/absorbing materials, which contains the existing heat, you still need to remove that. but you could build an inlet baffle system to cut the direct noise of the fans.

Originally posted by T-Shirt
read the link
http://www.dynamat.com/
This explains the conversion of sound energy, into thermal energy.
It doesn't allow for the insulating effect of sound deadening/absorbing materials, which contains the existing heat, you still need to remove that. but you could build an inlet baffle system to cut the direct noise of the fans.

From www.dynamat.com :

Dynamat dissipates the vibro-acoustic energy to a form of low-grade thermal energy. This low-grade thermal energy exists at the molecular level and does not affect the temperature of your computer; any change in temperature is well below measurable limits of a standard thermometer.

That looks good but remember that even if you insulate your case, if you have good airflow IN you need good airfow OUT. If you plan your attack, fans drawing in, then you also need to have the same or close of airflow going out. If it is getting hot inside, then get the hot air out. Try to cool from front to back. Or drawing cool air over the HSF then out the back or top of the case.

More sound proofing...

www.frostytech.com seem to be focusing on noise deading products just now.
Today they have a review of Noisecontrol's Magic Fleece.

From www.frostytech.com :

After our original article on the possibilities of using Melamine foam sound absorbing material for computer cases, we received a lot of good questions about testing other acoustic materials. Some requests were for tests of existing acoustic products, and other were for simple everyday materials like corrugated cardboard. We will be doing our best to cover as many types of material as possible, so don't be afraid to suggest something, or tell us what you use in your case.

i put some akasa pax mate foam on mine. did'nt help. my experiences. just didn't help. screw that ****. pisses me off. wasted money on that ****. damn. sorry guys.

I managed to get hold of a load of that corrogated foam that they use in music studios. I cut it all to size and fitted it on more or less every bare panel inside my server case (I have this on in my bedroom while trying to sleep!) It does make quite a difference but it only seems to get rid of the higher frequencies. I've also placed the case on top of some of this foam and put a slab of it around the back of the case on the adjacent wall to deaden the rear exhaust fans. Damn I'm a geek!

The best idea i have seen it to: First remove all the fans, secondly, completely seal your case with silicon. Now all you have to do is fill it with cooking oil and your set. 100% silent and cool. And apparently it works really well!

foam is also an excellent thermal insulator. Be careful as you will trap heat normally escaped through the case itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back