Folders such as My Computer, MY Documents, And Recycle Bin, Will Not Open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty new dell. We have windows xp with service pack 2. Every since a month or two ago, our folders...my documents, my computer, my network places, my pictures, control panel...and any other system folder that you can click on from the start menu and/or desktop won't open properly. But if you go into internet explorer and type in the name of the folder, then it comes up. I am really getting mad about this. When you click on the folder no matter where it is it will cause the computer to freeze up, or the screen to freeze, and a window pops up saying something about a watson debugger not working properly or something. I would like to be able to open folders the way i could before my computer messed up. Thanks...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows will help.

Instructions for the above can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry, but it didn't help...

Yeah, i tried to reinstall windows xp, but it said it oucldnt do it, because the os i currently had running was of a newer version, and said i could reinstall it by uninstalling the newer version. But, i am not sure about doing this. What will it do? Will it erase all of my files/downloads/whatever?

You'll need to uninstall SP2 if it is not on the CD you're using. Which seems to be the case. Then you'll be able to follow Howard's link and re-install SP2 afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back