For Pci Express Do I Need A New Motherboard???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopefisher

ok this may sound stupid to all you experts, but i need to know if i need a whole new motherboard to get a pci express card. i do a lot of gaming with all the new games. is there any way to avoid getting a new motherboard?

You will need a motherboard that supports PCI express .. But do you have a AGP slot right now there some very good cards out there that use AGP.. There have been rumors that the PCI-E have really not caught on yet this might change when we see a new os. I have a AGP card And I can play any game out there right now this includes Doom Farcry all of them..

Hope this helps you some

What tBrunt3 said. I've got an AGP card also, a BFG 6800 GT OC, and I can play the games he listed, Half-Life 2, and any of the newer games with reasonable high settings and resolution. From what I've read though, after maybe one more generation or so, of newer cards, the top end cards will most likely only be available in PCI-E. If you would like to know the differences, of PCI, AGP, and PCI-E slots, and cards, you can go here, and get some pretty good information.

I guess if I could afford it, I would go to a PCI-E motherboard, but I would have to get a new board, cpu, ram, and graphics card, very expensive, at least it would be for me. Guess I've have to wait it out and be happy, and I am, with my AGP card for now.

thanks! and yes i have agp 8x. I only have bfg geforce fx 5200 but i can still run any game at medium settings. and most at high, though in multiplayer it gets kind of laggy....

but yah, i see your point...its not worth it right now to convert to all new hardware.

pci-e have not caught on at all, it is not a rumor, it is a fact, all of the good cards out are agp and a few of the cards have a pci-e edition for them. trust me, i have pci-e and im trying to find a good video card to get and its kinda hard to find pci-e cards.

pci-e is gathering momentum.the performance increase while shifting from an agp to pci-e isnt that monumental yet,but the future has a lot of room for expansion.while agp has lived to the end of its lifetime in terms of future performance increase i.e has hit the cieling.as for saying that the good cards are not pci-e is a shallow observation and a wrong one.the geforce 6800 and all of its other variant have been designed ground up for pci-e,thats its native interface,agp versions of these cards are just a port or a bridge to agp sacrificing its true quality to serve the market for today.with every big name pushing pci-e (intel,amd,nvidia,ati)the future rests with it,agp has reached its end and will soon be phased out.

...soon be phased out.

The key word being 'phased' out.

New software takes months (if not over a year or so) to get into the market. And when one has to 'save his pennies' (like me), that can make all the difference in the world.

So if you have a decent AGP card, you might as well wait till a broader base of PCIx requiring software is out, not to mention any bugs being worked out...and also, we all know that with new technology, prices are always falling..(primarily because they make more in the long run by selling more product for less cost, than less product for higher price, after overhead is considered) which also establishes 'reputation' which (if it's a fair product) brings 'brand' (or in this case 'technology') loyalty.

If you already have PCIx, than your not hindered at all, it's just a matter, of course, of paying a 'premium' for new-tech.

God bless...

ripken204 said:
pci-e have not caught on at all, it is not a rumor, it is a fact, all of the good cards out are agp and a few of the cards have a pci-e edition for them. trust me, i have pci-e and im trying to find a good video card to get and its kinda hard to find pci-e cards.
No it's not just yet. Intel screwed-up, PCI-e isn't really any better performance than AGP until they get that fixed.

Nvidia did a better job with their PCI-e hardware than Intel did with their own "invention".

pizzada .............i absolutely agree with you on that,people who bought the pci-e's very first batch have had compatibilty issues and ther is no sense in paying that "premium" but the answer was directed to only those who are considering buying a new pc or upgrading in the near future,not to those who are already happy with there current config(think agp 8x and ati radeon 9800 pro xt).there are gamers who are still running video cards on pci slots for that matter and are happy with what they've got.

Well, the first question was 'is there a way to avoid getting a new motherboard to have PCIx...'

And, of course, there is not. I was trying to encourage him to not think he had to get PCIx just yet....and I would say to those who are just about to buy to consider that it may still be ok to wait on it. Of course there are 'exceptions', and I understand that.

The hard part is, we have no guarantees that PCIx, in it's current configuration, will even be valid in 2 years...y'know, something like 'PCIx2', so that we have to buy yet more hardware.

Someone please tell me whatever happened to those big 'bargain bins' at CompUSA et al. where you could find great, older games, that actually worked with your current system ?

Like it or not, we are all, in some measure, pawns in a great marketing scheme...no conspiracy...just a little truth...and a little greed as well, no ?

I mean, would the 'gaming' world fall apart if we stopped for 5 years, and focused on developing more efficient software ?

OK, I'm jumping off my soapbox now :blackeye:

Personally I just waiting untill the dust is clear for PCI-E then decied what to do since right now I have a really good card which can play any game out there now with out breaking a sweat.

tbrunt3 said:
Personally I just waiting untill the dust is clear for PCI-E then decied what to do since right now I have a really good card which can play any game out there now with out breaking a sweat.
Exactly, I don't suggest buggy new things to newbies, and especially not to some self-styled Symmetric Processing experts with no clue what "Symmetric Processing" actually meant, often you even have to explain to them what PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) actually supposed to be.

nein said:
some self-styled Symmetric Processing experts with no clue what "Symmetric Processing" actually meant, often you even have to explain to them what PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) actually supposed to be.

are you talking about yourself??'cause all you do is preach to everyone talking or even curious about pci express and tell them how "Intel screwed-up, PCI-e isn't really any better performance than AGP until they get that fixed"

I only stated that facts as what each of the compaines are doing and what there marketing strategies would be and if you want to tell the world that your the ONLY self-certified delusional lunatic(i am sorry expert "who does this for a living") who knows the inner workings of the pci express and how one of the biggest company in the world was unable to launch without debugging this new technology and pretty much "screwed up"as you put it.while youre among the ONLY few keeping tabs on the companies progress and failure, then you are grossly overestimating your self.

shadow_29 said:
are you talking about yourself??'cause all you do is preach to everyone talking or even curious about pci express and tell them how "Intel screwed-up, PCI-e isn't really any better performance than AGP until they get that fixed"

I only stated that facts as what each of the compaines are doing and what there marketing strategies would be and if you want to tell the world that your the ONLY self-certified delusional lunatic(i am sorry expert "who does this for a living") who knows the inner workings of the pci express and how one of the biggest company in the world was unable to launch without debugging this new technology and pretty much "screwed up"as you put it.while youre among the ONLY few keeping tabs on the companies progress and failure, then you are grossly overestimating your self.

My compliments on your re-editing improvement efforts, the "wanna be different" English version above is much much better than the "wanna be different" PCI express mumbo-jumbo below...

shadow_29 said:
first of all pci express is supposed to be the successor to agp interface.pci devices like modems,lan card,audio cards dont require that fast a bus.pci express has a 4 gb/s transfer rate since it has the ability to simultaneously transfer data upsteram and downstream it would have a 8 gb/s bus speed.intel is already pushing for the new pci express slots.if you check out a new mobo based on intel 915/925 x chipset(lga 775)you'll see that besides the pci express X16 interface for the video card there is already 2 pci expess slots namely pxi express X1 along with good old pci slots.why???well because besides the good old pci,new devices really dont need that fast an interface so not a lot of devices are available with this interface.but in this fast pc market its impossible to be future proof.but rest assured that even if intel would want to push out theold pci and bring in the new pci express,its going to take a long time,pci express which was a necessity in the graphic market to increase the agp interface took about a 9 months to a year to get it mainstream approval(quantity),it would take even a longer time for intel to try and through good old pci out.

The "Me Tarzan, you Jane" version I normally utilize could even use such improvements.

nien

bite me.

do you know anything besides pci express which is just because of a page you somehow stumbeled on.if you do actually know something besides pci express than post somewhere else and as hard as it might be for you try and HELP someone instead of picking arguments over pity matters.

let me try and post like you do,first i 'll start by quoting you a couple of time so here goes

nein:yak yak yak blah blah blah

(now i'll throw in some self-praise .....like)dah.......i know stuff too

nein:yak yak yak blah blah blah blah blah

(now i'll attack anyone i dont like which is pretty much everyone including me)
here i might throw in some refrence to some childrens stories,and attack other peoples grammar and spellings and call them savages compared to the aristrocate that you seem to think of yourself.

well i tried your method/format of posting but you know what.....it doesnt work for me.so i'll stick to my own mediocre method of talking,as you said like "me tarzan,you definately *****".

Yea apparently knowing the inner workings of symmetric processing and PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) is a crucial part of buying a PCI express video card and while we at it lets just go design our own processor why support intel or amd cuz they screw up so often. Oh let me just throw in a couple of computer tech words which makes absolutely no sense in the conversation and act like this stuff is common sense just to show how smart i am.

REAL EASY TO BE A CRITIC FROM THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT!!

To really answer your question here is a link for all the graphics cards (pci express and AGP) and their performance if you have an agp slot and you need pci express you will need to switch your motherboard:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2.html

In my OPINION stick with agp for now cuz there is hardly a performance difference and it will be a while before they phase out AGP. Even though PCI express is the future and will eventually be the standard in graphics cards.

shadow_29 said:
let me try and post like you do,first i 'll start by quoting you a couple of time so here goes

nein:yak yak yak blah blah blah

(now i'll throw in some self-praise .....like)dah.......i know stuff too

nein:yak yak yak blah blah blah blah blah

(now i'll attack anyone i dont like which is pretty much everyone including me)
here i might throw in some refrence to some childrens stories,and attack other peoples grammar and spellings and call them savages compared to the aristrocate that you seem to think of yourself.

well i tried your method/format of posting but you know what.....it doesnt work for me.so i'll stick to my own mediocre method of talking,as you said like "me tarzan,you definately *****".
It's OK, don't worry... Ignorance and Stupidity in perfect English or "wanna be different" English would still be ignorance and Stupidity. For example below...

BringinHeat said:
Yea apparently knowing the inner workings of symmetric processing and PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) is a crucial part of buying a PCI express video card and while we at it lets just go design our own processor why support intel or amd cuz they screw up so often. Oh let me just throw in a couple of computer tech words which makes absolutely no sense in the conversation and act like this stuff is common sense just to show how smart i am.REAL EASY TO BE A CRITIC FROM THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT!!To really answer your question here is a link for all the graphics cards (pci express and AGP) and their performance if you have an agp slot and you need pci express you will need to switch your motherboard:http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vi...004-27gpu2.htmlIn my OPINION stick with agp for now cuz there is hardly a performance difference and it will be a while before they phase out AGP. Even though PCI express is the future and will eventually be the standard in graphics cards.

nein said:
self-styled Symmetric Processing experts with no clue what "Symmetric Processing" actually meant, often you even have to explain to them what PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) actually supposed to be.

Thats why you had to write all that to answer a simple question like do i need a new motherboard for pci express rite...... Stupidity indeed.

nein said:
Exactly, I don't suggest buggy new things to newbies, and especially not to some self-styled Symmetric Processing experts with no clue what "Symmetric Processing" actually meant, often you even have to explain to them what PCI Latency (symmetric time-slices) actually supposed to be.

You are the ignorant and stupid person to expect people to know about all this just to buy a Pci express video card or have a motherboard compatible to it. To know alot is good for you but to communicate properly what you know without being an A** is the key. Maybe all that gibberish works at star trek conventions but try to keep it to the point in this website. People come here for help not to listen to your BS about who is screwing up.

nein said:
It's OK, don't worry... Ignorance and Stupidity in perfect English or "wanna be different" English would still be ignorance and Stupidity. For example below...

Well i see improvement, finally you say something without rambling on with useless stuff or complaining about how all the big companies screw up all the time. Keep up the good work. That "wanna be different" english is real funny coming from you look up your the only one who is trying real hard to be different.

BringinHeat said:
You are the ignorant and stupid person to expect people to know about all this just to buy a Pci express video card or have a motherboard compatible to it. To know alot is good for you but to communicate properly what you know without being a jerk is the key. Maybe all that gibberish works at star trek conventions but try to keep it to the point in this website. People come here for help not to listen to your BS about who is screwing up.
Actually without gibberish works or even if it was simplified down to "Jittered blending of adjacent pixels caused bluriness in V5's FSAA" it wouln't do any good.

No clue ignorant people pretended to be experts would still wanted to "discuss", giving 'opinions", having "advices", etc... of what they had not a single clue for six months or even longer. Some people pretended to be experts didn't even know "Scalable Link Interface" was DECADES and DECADES ago old technology.

It would even be more truly beneficial if some ignorant retards pretended to be experts actually even had a real highschool education. Some of them can't even understand how "filament in a vaccum bulb" AKA "light-bulbs" worked. The joke of the day is "How many A+ certified monitor experts does it takes to handle one light-bulb?"
BringinHeat said:
Well i see improvement, finally you say something without rambling on with useless stuff or complaining about how all the big companies screw up all the time. Keep up the good work. That "wanna be different" english is real funny coming from you look up your the only one who is trying real hard to be different.
It is certainly better than the mumbo-jumbo ignorant stupidity below as "help".

BringinHeat said:
FIRSTLY SLI is not AKA PCIe they are totally different things.PCIe is a VGA slot with twice the bandwidth of regular AGP 8x whereas SLI (scalable link interface) is the technology where you have two PCIe slots linked together supporting two PCIe VGAs running as one.Secondly INTEL DOES NOT MAKE VGA CARD FOR PCIe they only have the integrated video in the motherboard which by no means you can play games with,they are only the pioneers in PCI express motherboard technology and most mainstream computers (dell, SONY, HP) usually come with ATI x300se cards in them.What you say about nvidia being better because of SLI would be the common theory but if you take a look at the article that i linked above or below it has the performance of all the video cards including the ULTRA SLI configuration and according to the testers/benchmarkers in there they said that in some cases the ultra SLI configuration gets beats by the ATI x850 PE. Even though the ULTRA SLI configuration works really good in some games it is highly dependent on the forceware drivers and in some cases if the drivers for the game are not optimised it will give you only a minor gain over one card or sometimes no gain in performance over one ultra card at all.6600 GT SLI gives you in most cases the same performance as one 6800 GT.PLus the HP desktop HAPLESS MINDSET has more than likely includes a stock intel motherboard with only one PCI express slot so considering that he will have to shell out $150-200 bucks on SLI motherboard plus pay for two video cards which at the least will cost him $400 ($199 for 6600GT) only for a gain that he may or may not get is not to smart. THis is the article i am referring to
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vi...-27gpu2_47.html

The above information was taken from

http://www.nvidia.com/page/sli.html (NVIDIA's OWN SITE)

If you think i will believe some ***** ranting and raving from their parent's basement before i believe NVIDIA the inventors of the technology themselves you better think twice. So the day when i look into my computer and see NEIN on my 6800 GT instead of Nvidia i will start believing you.

The info about the graphics cards was taken from

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vi...-27gpu2_47.html

nein said:
And i still think the joke of the day is All that BS above to answer a question as simple as do i need another motherboard for pci express. Apparently you need to know all that to answer that question so i guess your A+ certification of the light bulb joke is true in your case. Cuz knowing how to make the light bulb is the essential part of handling it. Its stupid people like you who complicate things!!

Let me just stick this
nein said:
Actually without gibberish works or even if it was simplified down to "Jittered blending of adjacent pixels caused bluriness in V5's FSAA" it wouln't do any good.
for good measure cuz i cant talk without speaking stupidity and putting technical things where nothing is needed. Putting in stupid sh*t doesnt make you appear smart buddy!!

Your the only one taking things real serious here whereas everyone here are doing this for hobby or trying to helping out people. This is a forum where people can talk about anything computers so if you can take the d**k out of your a** and realize this you will be a happier person.

Thread question : do I need a new motherboard for a PCI-e card ?
Answer : yes.
Outcome : thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back