format me to xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mz_squawk_alot

hi there i have aprob sort of anyway.........a friend wants me to reformat heer pc which is fine but she has me and wants xp.....everyone keeps telling me to make a boot disck and do it that way.......but when i did my neighbours i didnt need to coz the cd goes in on whatever windows you have......click setup and not upgrade the other one and hey presto it takes you through it all. i presume it will be the same with me and xp.....please if i need a boot disk tell me so i dont screw her pc up!!!!!!!

You can do an upgrade from ME to XP by either booting from the CD or just sticking it in while in ME.
If you want to install from scratch, you can either reformat the whole HD (you WILL lose everything) and install XP plus whatever programs she wants, or you can install XP on a separate partition and have a dual-boot system.
Unless your (her) PC cannot boot from CD, you wont need a boot disk.

ty you are so helpful i think she can boot from cd she is checking now....and making a bootdisk just incase....she has also changed her bios as her 1st boot device was floppy now is cd......once again ty!

my personal opinion is to backup stuff then completely reformat from the xp install cd. dont leave any shred of winme anywhere near your system. you're gonna have to reinstall apps anyways and this will cause the less amount of headache in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back