Format + Windows reinstall from a different CD, but same product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc

I am at home from college for the weekend. My computer has been acting up and I want to format the C drive and install Windows anew. Problem is that i left my Windows CD at college (2hrs away) (yes it's legal). This program supposedly can tell me my CD key, and even change it. So my question is: Would it work if i installed Windows from my dad's CD, then changed the CD key to mine and activated then? I don't know how the Windows activation works, but it seems like it should work to me. Thanks for any help :D

I can't see why that would be a problem. You just need to make sure you contact M$ if you are putting it onto a different system with different hardware. But if it is just a format and reinstall on the current system, all should be ok.

Your Windows license is not tied to any specific medium. It doesn't matter if you install the thing from a network drive, from a hard drive, from a CD or 3.5" floppies.

Also, the CD key is not tied to a specific CD, so you can just use your own CD key to install using the dad's CD. No need to go through the key changing thing.

alright, thanks. For some reason I thought you had to install Windows with its CD key, but whatever. Time for a format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back