Formatting CD's/DVD's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMHar

Question: Why do I now have to format a cd or dvd before I can burn stuff to it? Until recently, I don't remember ever doing this (and depending on what computer I use I still don't), but now I seem to have to with most cd's (-RW). If I use my personal machine, I can just drag and drop to burn , but if I use my newer work pc (HP nc6400) I'll have to spend like 20 minutes waiting for the cd to be formatted before I can drop the files to it and burn.

Well it could be that you are using lame burning software or a old burner. (ahhem please dont be shaming yourself with sonic or default -_-") If you are using RW, it is normal for computer--->computer CDs that are burnt in one computer and you want to use it in an other that it may format it to bring it up to usable specs of your PC.

Best guess

It could be the brand your Boss buys.Ask him to buy what you
use at home,or install Nero.
Nero Rules.:D

Neither of those suggestions is an option where I work. Technically speaking, I'm not even allowed to hook my mp3 player up to the usb port to recharge it, so installing unauthorized software is a big no no. And the cd's work fine if I take them home and burn there.

zipperman said:
So why did you ask ?
:confused:

I asked because it is a pain to have to wait nearly 30 minutes for a cd to be formatted so that I can burn a file to it. Especially when it is 15 minutes till I get off and I need to take the disk home so I can complete some work over the weekend, and my train leaves in 20 minutes. I was wondering if there was something that I was doing wrong or had set incorrectly that was causing this to happen. And I was curious about it.

Perhaps for those situations you could purchase a flash drive. You can transfer documents to them much more quickly than burning a formatted CD. That said, why not format a few CDs in advance for just those emergencies?

tell them how long it takes they will fix it
check your software it should not format data disc as a 1st step
it should format udf or iso on the burn

You shouldn't have to format your CD/DVD if you use Nero. I can't help you with Roxio I don't like that program. Never care for the DirectCD feature either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back