Formidable file encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

I just picked this code up from one of the 'just linux' forums (they haven't answered my 2.6.2 kernel problem yet, so the question still stands! :D)

Anyway's, this code is quoted as being an encryption system the government couldn't crack.

I don't understand the code, but I can see that it's encrypted in 5 passes, which has got to be cpu time/memory hungry!!!

go on, have a stab. What kind of system could run this and still play a game in full screen at high res? lol

what do you guys think of it?

Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/somefile-1 bs=1M count=1024

losetup -e blowfish /dev/loop1 /somefile-1
mke2fs /dev/loop1
mount /dev/loop1 /mnt/chain1
cd /mnt/chain1
dd if=/dev/random of=/somefile-2

losetup -e serpent /dev/loop2 /chain1/somefile-2
mke2fs /dev/loop2
mount /dev/loop2 /mnt/chain2
cd /mnt/chain2
dd if=/dev/random of=/somefile-3

losetup -e cast128 /dev/loop3 /chain2/somefile-3
mke2fs /dev/loop3
mount /dev/loop3 /mnt/chain3
cd /mnt/chain3
dd if=/dev/random of=/somefile-4

losetup -e rijndael /dev/loop4 /chain3/somefile-4
mke2fs /dev/loop4
mount /dev/loop4 /mnt/chain4
cd /mnt/chain4
dd if=/dev/random of=/somefile-5

losetup -e twofish /dev/loop5 /chain3/somefile-5
mke2fs /dev/loop5
mount /dev/loop5 /mnt/chain5
cd /mnt/chain5

Originally posted by Spike
What kind of system could run this and still play a game in full screen at high res?

Actually, yours could. Running Linux. Processor and memory requirements satisfied, of course ;)

I have a fair idea what's happening above.

Essentially, there's a series of loopbacks being setup with the same data being passed through these different encryption algorithms.

dd copies and converts files - and data to and from files - so that, for example:

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=mydiskimage

would copy all of first partition on first hard drive, byte for byte, into a file called mydiskimage.

losetup sets up a loopback device. the -e switch ensures that encryption is used.

mke2fs creates a file system on the specified device. Basically its make a file system, encrypt it, make another file system and copy the old data into that, encrypt that, and so forth.

Basically, what its showing you is that its possible to create extremely strong encryption by combining industry standard encryptions together.

Anything can be cracked given the time. And things will be a lot easier if the cracking party got ahold of that script so they see what algorithms and in what order you use.

And I doubt anyone would want to run their main filesystem off such crypto loops. It would be a small virtual file system set aside for sensitive data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back