Forum access speed

Julio Franco

Staff member
Just wondering, haven't you noticed any boost in access speed when browsing through the forums since today?

Sometimes I find the site very slow. This is both at work, and at home, so you can rule out the machine / net connection. We have a VERY fat pipe at work and I have a good enough cable connection at home.

Recently, I have noticed a real, significant decrease in the amount of lags and hangups. Whatever you have done, its helped. Please do more of it. Web sites loading slowly is extremely annoying. This one has ALWAYS BEEN WORTH IT, however its still a pain in the you know where.

So yes, I have noticed an improvement.

I hadn't thought to much about it till it was mentioned, but it does seem to be a little faster, but sometimes it still hangs for a while when loading a page. I think removing the vb redirect page was a big improvement.

The frontpage should also be loading a bit faster (most noticeable on slower connections), enabled gzip compression there.

This site always loads super fast for me (California, USA). Although lately I have had some problems with the forums "sticking". I'll press the submit button and it just doesn't want to do its thing. :)

Honestly, I have not had this happen in a long time.

You know how the Internet is... Unpredictable! :)

I wasn't talking about cigarettes you bad boy. You being intoxicated on some narcotic was the only explanation I could find for you wanting to where the sun don't shine.
;)

hmm well

my favourite narcotics are women and computers ;)

nothing that's related to the place described above hehehe

I have successfully installed mod_gzip in our server meaning that all content requested to the server in first compressed/zipped and then sent... makes quite a bit of a difference on certain connections, say 256k and below.

This same thing was applied before to the forums alone (so you won't notice a difference here) but has now been applied server-wide.

I guess a lot of you are using broadband either from home, work or collegue making a small difference... unfortunately I'm in the side of those who actually get to see the difference ;).

Back