FOUND.000 Folder and .chk files..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a Defrag and found more than 3Gigs of .chk files........... DO I NEED these files??? and how can i find if my Harddrive is going bad.........things do seem abit slow and help if you can THANX...
I have Win XP 2.......

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Taken from ericphelps.com

So what is a CHK file? Well, any time a program or Windows crashes, any files that were open are not closed properly. Part of closing is writing all the file location information in all the right places. Without this info, Windows can't find all the parts of the file. When SCANDISK or CHKDISK is run, all the parts are identified as "lost file fragments" and converted (if you want) into CHK files. Face it. Stuff crashes all the time. If you only run SCANDISK once a month, you get a month's worth of old crash junk. If you were working on (and lost) something important just before a crash, you might want to try to recover any data from any CHK files that exist. On the other hand, if you aren't in a state of panic over lost data, just delete any CHK files. A handy tip: Keep your disk defragmented. That way if you ever do lose it all, the lost file fragments will be more likely to be complete files

Click start/run and type cmd. In the window that opens type chkdsk /r /f and hit the enter key. Schedual a disk check to take place the next time you start your computer. type exit, and restart your system. Please note. This can take a long time to complete depending on how large your harddrive is.

Also take a look HERE for a list of drive diagnostic tools. They will enable you to test the fitness of your harddrive.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back