Founder of Project Maven 'alarmed' at Google's decision to walk away

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Over half of the video taken by aerial reconnaissance consists of hours of flight time and impenetrable weather conditions. Going through the video could be much more efficient if a computer could be trained to quickly scan footage while marking points for further human analysis.

Just over a year ago the Pentagon unveiled its Algorithmic Warfare Cross-Functional Team (AWCFT). Its mission was to develop or acquire machine learning algorithms that could be used to sift through thousands of hours of aerial drone footage. Codenamed Project Maven, it sought to increase the efficiency of video analysis.

Earlier this year, Google signed on to the project to provide AI and machine learning algorithms capable of object recognition. Despite insisting that the tech would be used for non-offensive purposes, the move stirred up a hornet's nest within the giant tech firm with employees signing petitions and even quitting the company over the decision.

Google tried to maintain work on the project, even coming up with a set of ethical guidelines for working on military contracts. However, in early June, the company decided the pressure was too much and announced that it would not be renewing its contract with the Pentagon, which expires next year.

Bloomberg reports that Former Deputy Defense Secretary Robert Work, who founded Project Maven is “alarmed” at the move. At a military tech event held in Washington on Tuesday, Work expressed his concerns over Google pulling out of the project.

“I fully agree that it might wind up with us taking a shot, but it could easily save lives. I believe the Google employees created an enormous moral hazard for themselves. They say, look this data could potentially, down the line, at some point, cause harm to human life. I said, yes but it might save 500 Americans or 500 allies or 500 innocent civilians.”

Work also remarked on Google’s perceived hypocrisy for working with Chinese firms. "Anything that’s going on in the AI center in China is going to be the Chinese government and then will ultimately wind up in the hands of the Chinese military, [sic]" he said. "I didn’t see any Google employee saying, hmm, maybe we shouldn’t do that."

This is undoubtedly a setback for the Pentagon, since Google is considered a leader in the field of machine learning. However, it is not likely to change or shut down Project Maven. The contract will just be given to another AI developer.

Google has not responded to Work's comments.

Permalink to story.

When did giving whining children what they want become the norm? /rhetorical

"...but it might save 500 Americans or 500 allies or 500 innocent civilians."

Can we stop pretending that the US military actually cares about innocent civilians? Collateral damage and the mistreatment of innocent civilians is the norm.

Around the time making snide remarks about informed people voicing their opinions, risking their livelihood, for the greater good become fashionable.
There's a difference between voicing informed opinions like an adult (and continuing on), and whining about your half-baked opinions (feelings before facts) like a child.
No risking of livelihood (at best it was virtue signalling) or greater good was achieved because of this. At the least another AI developer (that doesn't need a "safe space") will gladly take over.

Can we stop pretending that the US military actually cares about innocent civilians? Collateral damage and the mistreatment of innocent civilians is the norm.
I have to disagree with you on this one. The USA (I'm not American BTW) does indeed care. Success often depends on 'winning hearts and minds' and when photo's show up of dead children in the street, this doesn't help in the country of conflict nor in the media of the USA (public opinion is quite powerful). It's why the USA left Vietnam and why the Gulf War ended prematurely (the photo's and video's of the 'Highway of Death' turned public support). It didn't help in Iraq either. Great lengths are taken today to avoid this to the point of American soldiers dying because they can't get that air or artillery strike they called in...why?...too much possibility of civilian casualties. Frankly, if I was in the field in a firefight I would be thinking "F**k them, I want an air strike or artillery/mortar support".

It's also tough to, for example, rebuild Iraq when there are civilian casualties which will cause the population to turn against you, but it's tough when the enemy blends in with the people. They are partly to blame. Use their own population as a human shield.

Think of WWII when the USA had no problem flattening entire German cities like Dresden merely as punishment and for American citizen morale. Today that is unthinkable. Realistically though the death of innocent civilians and death by Friendly Fire are always things that in the USA and some other countries are trying to reduce.

Look at the other countries involved in these conflicts and see how interested they are in preventing civilian casualties. Usually little to none or actively using their population as human shields if not outright targeting innocent civilians.
Having said that though, places like Guantanamo Bay and their ilk and the stuff we know happened there is a stain on the record of humanity. This kind of treatment of people used to only be for the bad guys. Very sad that it is still happening.

"Work also remarked on Google’s perceived hypocrisy for working with Chinese firms. "Anything that’s going on in the AI center in China is going to be the Chinese government and then will ultimately wind up in the hands of the Chinese military, [sic]" he said. "I didn’t see any Google employee saying, hmm, maybe we shouldn’t do that.""

Yes, but there is a big difference. It is the US and not China that starts a new war every year or so since 9-11 invading countries and killing millions of civilians! That is the reason Google employees did not protest working with Chinese AI firms Mr smarty Robert Work!

"Work also remarked on Google’s perceived hypocrisy for working with Chinese firms. "Anything that’s going on in the AI center in China is going to be the Chinese government and then will ultimately wind up in the hands of the Chinese military, [sic]" he said. "I didn’t see any Google employee saying, hmm, maybe we shouldn’t do that.""

Yes, but there is a big difference. It is the US and not China that starts a new war every year or so since 9-11 invading countries and killing millions of civilians! That is the reason Google employees did not protest working with Chinese AI firms Mr smarty Robert Work!
Disagree. Without China there would be no North Korea, no North Vietnam, no occupation of Tibet and Mongolia. Mainland China is also the reason we call the Republic of China not by its proper name, but by Taiwan, after the island. China has put pressure on all never to call the ROC 'China'.
Can you name the greatest mass murderer of the 20th century? No, it wasn't Hitler or Josef Stalin, it was Mao Zedong. The most recent estimates stand at 80 million. The same party is still in power and still continuing to oppress. Our press only presents the most egregious incidents such as Tiananmen Square.
China is very actively building a modern military, they have been building manmade bases over some of the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea since 2014, an activity that greatly concerns the Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Japan whom all lay claim to parts of the sea, which is a valuable trade passage and fishing ground. An example is Fiery Cross Island, and the new land is now used as a military base (and the same territory is also claimed by the ROC, the Philippines and Vietnam). These waters are a very, very long way off the coast of 'the People's Republic'.
I could go on, but I wont.

I have to disagree with you on this one. The USA (I'm not American BTW) does indeed care. Success often depends on 'winning hearts and minds' and when photo's show up of dead children in the street, this doesn't help in the country of conflict nor in the media of the USA (public opinion is quite powerful). It's why the USA left Vietnam and why the Gulf War ended prematurely (the photo's and video's of the 'Highway of Death' turned public support). It didn't help in Iraq either. Great lengths are taken today to avoid this to the point of American soldiers dying because they can't get that air or artillery strike they called in...why?...too much possibility of civilian casualties. Frankly, if I was in the field in a firefight I would be thinking "F**k them, I want an air strike or artillery/mortar support".

It's also tough to, for example, rebuild Iraq when there are civilian casualties which will cause the population to turn against you, but it's tough when the enemy blends in with the people. They are partly to blame. Use their own population as a human shield.

Think of WWII when the USA had no problem flattening entire German cities like Dresden merely as punishment and for American citizen morale. Today that is unthinkable. Realistically though the death of innocent civilians and death by Friendly Fire are always things that in the USA and some other countries are trying to reduce.

Look at the other countries involved in these conflicts and see how interested they are in preventing civilian casualties. Usually little to none or actively using their population as human shields if not outright targeting innocent civilians.
Having said that though, places like Guantanamo Bay and their ilk and the stuff we know happened there is a stain on the record of humanity. This kind of treatment of people used to only be for the bad guys. Very sad that it is still happening.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm american by the way. America does most of the dirty work for the coming one world government. All these wars are conquering nations and inserting one world satanist governments. The one world government will never admit to being satanic though. Jesus warned us of all of this, but unfortunately the majority will believe in aliens (which are demons) before they will Jesus.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'm american by the way. America does most of the dirty work for the coming one world government. All these wars are conquering nations and inserting one world satanist governments. The one world government will never admit to being satanic though. Jesus warned us of all of this, but unfortunately the majority will believe in aliens (which are demons) before they will Jesus.

Not sure if serious....

Not sure if serious....
Definitely not serious, but It made me laugh a lot. Good trolling

Back