FPS loss in half-life

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone, ive played half-life and the mods for it for a while and just today i got a new graphics card, i used to have a geforce 4 ti 4200 with 64mb of ram and could get it to run at 70-100 fps and now that i have installed my new ati 9200 with 128mb of ram it wont let me get my old 70-100 fps, now it will go up to 100 when im at the edge of the level facing away from everything, but when i turn to the center it goes down as far as 20 and dosent usualy get higher then 40 or 50... i have set "wait for vsync" to allways off in my graphics card settings, and have done the fps_max 100 command, i have also tryed ati_npatch 0 as listed in several other topics, but its still the same low fps... if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate the help... thanks

muddyboy

Why did u go from a geforce 4 4200 to a radeon 9200? I'm sorry to tell you this but the geforce 4 is nearly twice as fast as a 9200, thats why you are getting around half the fps now. Who ever told you it was an upgrade has no idea what they are talking about.

aww ****.... the 128mb dosent have any affect? the geforce i had was 64 mb and the ati i got has 128.... but i supose that dosent matter much if the cards got a slower prosesser =/

hrm well thanks for the heads up.... i guess ill be returning this card then... could you tell me what ati cards would be on the same level as the geforece 4 ti 4200?

Never buy a video card on RAM size alone. Just doubling the amount of RAM you have on your video card will not give you better performance.

Go on the internet and read some reviews before buying a video card. Many of the card's names today are misleading as to the kind of performance they give. For example, one would expect the Radeon 9200 to perform better than the Radeon 9100 hence the higher number in the name. In fact, the Radeon is much faster than the 9200. Same case with the GeForce4 vs GeForceFX 5200 & 5600 series. Generally the GeForce4 series is much faster than the GeForceFX 5200 and 5600.

The Radeon 9500 (non-pro) or Radeon 9600 (non-pro) should give about the same level of performance as a GeForce4 Ti 4200, although they may be a bit faster in ansiotropic filtering and antialiasing performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back