Freezing and display distorted after adding new RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, reposting this here as I'm not sure if I was in the right place before and the symptoms I'm experiencing haven't been mentioned elsewhere, as far as I can see.

I want to increase my RAM from 256 MB (MEM DDR 256MB PC2700 R0) to 1GB (1 GB PC2700 DDR 333).

My motherboard is listed as Intel (Thrasher) Motherboard No CPU R0 and has spots for two RAM modules (Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets and support for single-sided or double-sided DIMMs (DDR333/266/200)) The maximum amount/type is 2048MB DDR PC2700.

Here's my problem:

When I put the new 1GB RAM in (in the slot previously occupied by my old 256MB RAM), the computer booted up, Windows XP started and it was working for a few minutes, at which point the screen went all distorted and the computer froze, but no beeps. I turned it off and restarted it a couple of times, and the same thing happened again, but with varying time intervals between startup and freezing (as little as 20 seconds, as long as 5-7 minutes).

I tried again using both RAM modules (which from what I've read here is a bad idea anyway) and I had similar results in terms of the display distortion (fuzzy, weird colours) and computer freezing. When I remove the new 1GB RAM and restore my system to original (ie putting back the 256MB in it's original location), everything goes back to normal - which is fine, but so slow.

Any ideas on why the 1GB isn't working for me? Thanks for any comments!

Debbie

Use the free copy of memtest, burn it to a CD and boot off of it. It should then check for memory errors. Let it run for a very long time.

If it takes a while to get an error, its not a big deal. If a lot of errors start poping up then the RAM is faulty.

agree.. it could be that the ram you've bought is incompatible to your system, which a quick (long) memtest will help determine. guide below if you want to read it.

Check the intel website for your motherboard specs and see if the brand/type of ram you've bought for it is compatible or not, since some motherboards are picky about what they have on their slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back