Freezing at Windows splash screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy0ntherun

Hopefully this is the correct forum for the problem I am facing with my computer.

It is a completely new system which I recieved around the 17th of January 2008. I filled in the specs of my machine in my profile, hopefully you all see it.

Well to start things off, I will go about explaining everything haha. I have run memtest86 and checked the memory; it came back fine, no errors. I put my XP CD in and ran CHKDSK with the recovery option and during the first scan with /p it came back with "some known errors," or something like that. I rescanned with /p again, and then tried /r and the CHKDSK did not come back with the small error mesage from the first scan. Maybe it is the Hard Drive, but it doesn't seem like it does it?

I would like to mention that I can boot into safe mode. I tried going into safe mode after it failed to boot into Windows the very first time and it worked. I can always go into safe mode when the computer fails to boot past the Windows splash screen. This is good from what I have read or so I believe.

I read maybe it was the PSU, so I did some invesigating of my own by opening up the case and the PSU that came with my case was only max 400w. My BFG GeForce 8800GT needs a minimum 425w PSU, so that seemed like the obvious error. I should have been more clear when speaking with the techs at where I bought the computer. I did ask whether that PSU was capable of running my system and they agreed and sent me home with it anyways.

So today I went back and told them of the discrepancy between the needed wattage of my video card and the PSU in the case and they said sorry and put in the Cooler Master eXtremePower RP-500-PCAR.

So I get home believeing my issue should be solved and have a nap. I wake up this evening and the computer boots past the Windows splash screen, but it goes black after that screen loads and is unresponsive.

I'd like to mention that this freezing or locking up during or after the Windows splash screen happens from cold boots. Usually the first boot when I wake up from a nights sleep or nap.

Thank you for any help or insight, it is much appreciated.

Go back to safe mode and fully remove your video drivers

Also your system specs, did not show, are they posted HERE

Doesn't happen all the time

Hey kimsland, thanks for the help. The problem doesn't happen all the time, usually from cold boots every now and then.

But should I go ahead and completely remove all video drivers anyways and see what happens?

Thanks again, take care.

can you also check the system event logs for errors that happened at the time you were experiencing the problem?

Event Viewer

Hey mscrx, I found a guide to using the Event Viewer and I started looking around at the errors in Application and System.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? Nothing has popped out at me when reading the logs. It seems like I should be looking at the logs in system moreso than application.

I seem to have a lot of plug and play warnings and I have a couple DCOM errors.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Hi boy0ntherun

You may want to go to Acer and update all drivers from there
http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/bin/drivers.html?CFID=144414&CFTOKEN=64834007
I couldn't work out which one was yours, so use the drop down lists

As you can sometimes get to normal mode, it's difficult to diagnose

It may be as simple as running check disk
Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools tab
Select Check Now button
Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
Start YES OK
Restart your computer
Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

But confirming all drivers (and video driver) is a good start

Also which computer is yours exactly?

BFG GeForce 8800GT

I turned on my system specs in my profile, they were set to off so you should be able to see them. But my video card is a BFG GeForce 8800GT. I did go to the NVIDIA website and got the most up to date drivers for my video card but to no avail, my problem still persists.

I will try running the check disk to see if my problem is alleviated, thank you very much all of you.

Yes your System Specs show OK, but I don't know "M3A", are there other numbers on the case. Or maybe you could confirm via the above link

Motherboard Drivers

Hey, should I update all the drivers for my Motherboard? like the BIOS, BIOS-Utilities, Chipset, etc?

Hmm

I can answer this two fold

I would ! (mind you the old bios should work anyway)

Or, maybe not, depends have you done Bios updates before? There is a guide There's a better one somewher too, but you may just want to search TechSpot on Bios update guide.

An unsuccessfull bios update will kill your system, so read all instructions carefully.

Yes do ALL the driver updates (actually I'd download them all and create a c:\MyDrivers Folder)

Before I do anything...

Hey kimsland, I changed the tab on the M3A driver update page from All OS to WinXP since that is the OS I am using. Then I went to drivers tab and downloaded all the drivers from that page into a folder on my desktop.

All of the install seems pretty straight forward, extract them then install like any other program.

I'll wait for your reply before I go ahead and install all the new drivers that I downloaded.

Thanks for the help.

Hey, thank you a lot kimsland, hopefully this will solve my troubles.

Don't worry, I am taking all these steps as grains of salt. I don't think anything will instantly fix my computer, but eventually something will prove effective.

Much appreciated from everyone that is helping, i'll post back when the updates are done.

Well, I installed almost everything. Two folders gave me difficulties, they were titled "WinXP" and "WinXP1."

In the WinXP folder there were two more folders called, x64 and x86 but neither had an install program.

The WinXP1 folder had a setup program but it said did not support OS, and it had x64 and x86 folders as well. Which both had setup programs, but neither would setup any drivers.

The rest of the folders installed normally.

On some drivers, you need to manually point to the driver from device manager

And the bios (yet to do, I suspect)

Better to use DOS floppy boot, that way you can back up the old BIOS (if you need to go back!)

Refer to All guidelines on the asus site for this.

So far so good.

Also at the end of all this, do a CCleaner on the system, and fully defrag

Well I took a look at the file that the WinXP and WinXP1 folders were extracted from and they came from a file called, 'AMD_RAIDAHCIController_V25154039'

I don't know what that is a driver for.

Thanks again.

You need to turn raid on in bios to use this (also they may in fact be DOS files)

Just leave those. Continue on. :)

I would really like to thank you for all the help kimsland.

So this is what happened; I was going to update my Motherboard BIOS and I followed the instructions in the manual that came with my Motherboard. The Asus updater had to be updated since it there was a newer version and it required the computer to restart. Well when it went to boot up it froze at the Windows splash screen in one of the many different ways that it freezes.

It does a couple different things ahaha, goes black, the bar freezes or loads extremely slow then stops entirely.

I am getting fed up with the machine and my reasoning is that if I do update the Motherboard BIOS and something goes wrong it might invalidate my warranty. I have a complete one year's parts and labor from the store. That computer has been back and forth to the tech department at that store pretty much since I got it so they must be fed up with seeing me as much as I am fed up with the machine.

I am going to put it in this monday and see what they come back with. Again I would like to thank you for all the help, it was much appreciated. I will make sure to stay active in the community. Take care.

New revelation

Something new, I was playing WoW and the screen went black with the computer being unresponsive. So now it freezes at the Windows splash screen and goes black while playing computer games. Sure seems like the video card ahaha, doesn't it?

Maybe the screen going black says something more clearly about the problem?

Thanks again, still taking it in on monday.

Wow very annoyed and thankful at the same time, now that's control !

OK the bios update can be very difficult (and sometimes really easy)
I'm not entirely sure if it has been done or not, or if it's just the flash program that's updated.
If it's just the flash program itself, then you could run system restore in Safe mode to bring it back to how it was before.

Or if it has actually done the update, (bios) then it is possible that you may need to run a Repair on the system. (which is what I'd do)

By the way, I am a tech shop!. So I know the best course of action (that'll be taken)

They (or I) will back up all user data and settings
Confirm bios revision from bootup sequence. If old update (saving old bios file)
If still issues - recommend full re-install of Windows / Office and no doubt a whole bunch of other stuff.
Test power supply, and or clean entire motherboard (circuit spray) reseating all internal components
Test
Return backup to My Documents.

Entire time ~2 to 3 Hrs (not including cold testing) Charge customer 2 Hours (not sure where you live but can be over $100

Or. you can do this yourself (with my guidance)

Choice:
1. Backup / Reinstall Windows
2. Backup / Bios Update / Repair Windows
3. Give to tech shop (this will save both of our time!, but your choice)

Nope, I did not do the BIOS update, only the flash program was updated. I did not go through with the update, fearing they might consider it tampering with the computer since I am not certified and cancel my warranty.

I tore my old computer apart last night just to see how it ticks and after my new computer went down I put it back together to get on the net and post this to you. First time I ever got the opportunity seeing as how this is the first time I had an extra computer lying around ahaha.

Anyways, this has all been fun and thank you again kimsland, I appreciate all your help.

Bios update is allowed as an operator function, it does not void warranty, as long as the bios update was the correct one meant for your board (and not beta) and came from the original home page.
You may also wish to read all info on Asus about this first.

You are allowed to update your bios, at your risk. Still keeping your warranty.

Ah the computer is being a real POS and won't boot past the splash screen again. I left it for a night once and it let me on in the morning so maybe tomorrow i'll go through the BIOS update. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back