Frequent Crashes - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chops

Hi there,
I have been troubleshooting a problem with my machine for the last 6 months without much success. At First the restarts were random and not really attributable to anyone one thing. I noticed, though that they occur without fail when listening to music, playing video files or using P2P software and I can make the machine crash doing any of these.

I have done all the checks many times over, Have replaced the PSU with a 500W one, switched to a sound card, switched to a LAN card (disabled both in BIOS), memory tests OK and is compatible with motherboard. Played with different BIOS Settings, updated the BIOS to the latest, updated the Intel processor driver to the latest. Reinstalled windows twice.

I even disconected all the front case cables and PCI cards, usb, floppy, CD/DVD and could still repeat the crash.

I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue but would like to be sure what it is.
Memory/Mobo/CPU

I have only started with reading the minidumps a couple of weeks ago
and dont really know what it all means.

Can any one shed some more light?

Thanks

Chops
(System Specs are in my profile)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

3 minidumps crash at P16X.sys. They have a bugcheck of 7F.

Look HERE for further info.

5 minidumps crash with an unknown image. Possible file corruption. They have a bugcheck of 7F.

1 minidump crashes with an unknown image. Possible module corruption. It has a bugcheck of D1.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

You may have a ram problem.

Go HERE and follow the instructions. Instructions for replacing the page file can be found in reply #11 in the above link.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for the welcome and the analysis.
I did the page file thing last night as well but could still reproduce the crash.

I'll try a new stick of RAM and see how it goes.

Regards
Chops

Problems Solved

Hi there,
Just thought I'd post a follow up to help others that may have the same problem.

After 6 months of trying to find which piece of hardware was faulty and purchasing a new power supply, lan card sound card, diagnosed the problem to be with my ASUS P5P800 motherboard.

I replaced the motherboard with an ABIT SG-80 and have not had a problem since. More interesting is the fact that the new mobo runs the 775 P4 3.2ghz processor at at least 10-15 degrees celcius cooler than the P5P800.

So if your CPU is running at around the high 56 - 64 degrees celcius and you are having all sorts of bsod's that you are finding hard to pin down, it may be your motherboard.

I have returned the mobo to the manufacturer as it is still under warranty and will try to get a different board as something tells me there may be a problem with this board (ie: design flaw, bad caps)

hope this saves someone else some time.

regards
chops

Thanks

Thank you Howard for providing a great service.
You are quite dedicated in your responses to people's computer problems.
Is this a full time gig for you or just a hobby?

regards

chops

chops said:
Thank you Howard for providing a great service.
You are quite dedicated in your responses to people's computer problems.
Is this a full time gig for you or just a hobby?

regards

chops

Unfortunately I can`t work due to injury. Techspot certainly helps me to fill the long hours. Otherwise I`d be very bored indeed.

I found Techspot quite by accident, while trying to solve a computer problem I had. I liked what I saw, and the rest is history.

It started out as a hobby, but has become somewhat of an addiction lol.

I`ve met some very nice, and interesting folks here.

I`ve also learned, and am learning a hell of a lot here.

I like to help where I can.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back