Frequent freezing and posting takes longer than usual

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased all of my parts and assembled my computer about 4 months ago. It wouldn't even post in the beginning, so we brought it into a couple tech shops (which really wasn't any help). Then I started swapping parts with my friend's computer. Luckily he has the same CPU as me and after that was swapped it worked! One thing I noticed is after a while it would freeze occasionally when I wasn't doing anything demanding, then that had seemed to vanish after a while. But now, its starting to take longer to post (with his CPU still in my machine), here and there. Each time I start up it can take very long or very short. I just recently replaced my Ati x800 GTO2 with a Ati x1950 Pro to play Bioshock and now (possibly a coincidence), it is starting to freeze up a lot again. After I reboot it will tell me to reset the frequency of my Memory and CPU. I'm not quite sure what is ideal frequency is because i've set them 1066/667 but it still occurs. As you could tell, I don't know much and help would be much appreciated. Thanks! PS- this is my first post on A forum :D

Motherboard: Asus p5nsli
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Memory: 2gb Kingston 800mhz DDR2
Video Card: Sapphire Ati Radeon x1950 Pro
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 500w

I think that's everything

two gig ram is massive for a desktop system; try pulling one of the chips out

Yor RAM is fine. The more ram, teh better. However i think the problem here is either, the ram you have is not compatible with your mobo or you will need to install the board drivers. infact i will suggest replacing your mobo. make your the mobo is compatible with DDR2. Oh you can also change check your fans, make sure the fans cpu fan and the main fan is pluged in the correct spots...specified on mobo

The video card is in the correct slot, and the only other video card I have is the x800 GTO2 and it didn't seem to freeze when I was running it, so I suppose that could be it? Am I just putting too much into a motherboard that can't handle this much? or could I be demanding too much from my PSU? Oh right, and everything is connected correctly and all of my drivers are up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back