Frequently dropped connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

monton

I have a frustrating problem with my small network. I have frequent interruptions in connection. The icon in the task bar says: Status: Connected but I can't connect to anything. I am using ComCast cable as my provider, a Netgear RP614 router, a D-link 24 port gigabit smart switch with 6 and sometimes 8 computers connected. They all suffer frequent loss of connectivity. Usually I can reconnect by doing a "repair" even though the ARP cache doesn't clear.
Most of the time I reconnect by using the command line
cmd
ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

After several seconds I am happily connected. Unfortunately my connection may only last a few minutes.
It seems that the connection is dropped randomly among the computers with some connected some not etc.

I have no idea what is going. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

Comcast?
Router?
Switch?
Network settings?
Anti virus/spyware conflicts?
I'm at a loss so any help is welcome.
Monton

Hi

I had a similar problem with a wireless setup and solved it by switching the channel that my wireless router used, I had to play around a while to find the best one, but it worked and I dont have the problem anymore.

You dont say if your wireless or wired but if your wired, I would start with one PC connected to the router and see if happens, if so its the router, if not I would add the switch and see again if it happens, if it does its the switch, if not I would start to add PC's into the chain until it happens.

Regards

I have that router too, but it comes in ~four version levels, so be sure to verify
which one you have installed.

Go to netgear.com, support (or was it downloads) and get the firmware update
for your version. The update solved all my disconnect issues.

For all your systems, make sure you have the latest driver for each NIC card.

Ididmyc600: the Netgear RP614 router is wired-only

Once in a while you should turn off the Cable Modem. Then turn it back on again. When you do this shutdown the Router prior.

Test your Cable Modem with your PC only by-pass the router and do this a day or two and see how the connection goes. If all is stable, then the Router might be shot..

Also make sure your cables are in as tightly as possible...you could also try anothe router/modem if you have extra's to make sure you don't just have a defective electronic :( .

Along with what cfitzarl rcommended, you may want to substitute in known working cables as sometimes a bad crimp on the cable can cause intermittent connection problems.

sorry, I just never have seen a static ip address solve any connectivity problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back