Fresh ME install, needs bootdisk to start...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

leem

I just did a fresh install of Windows ME on a computer with a pentium(r) III processor and 127 ram. It is a Gateway computer that has three installation discs (Restoration Kit). 1: Hardware Drivers 2: ME OS 3: Application back-up.

I have installed all three disks according to intruction after I did a fresh reformat. If I have disc 2 (ME OS) disc in, I can start windows. If I do not have the Gateway CD-Rom disc 2 (ME OS) in the computer, the boot up stops and says:

"Invalid Boot Diskette
Insert BOOT diskette in A:"

Is there anyway I can get Windows ME to start wthout a boot diskette? It used to, but my whole system crashed. After this reinstall, it is needing a boot diskette... :confused:

Thank you for any help.

On a side note, I do have a DVD rom I istalled in place of the CD Rom, and I have not installed the software yet. I also have a card installed that lets me watch TV on my computer. I forget which brand (ATV I think) becuase I lost my disc.

Thats just it. There is no floppy in drive a: and no CD in drive d:.

I have never encountered this before.

Do what realblackstuff indicates it should get you up and running

---{but I wonder if your DVD drive show an DVD-Ram and wants to boot off of it 1st... but then you would be getting no OS found then.....]--- Ignore...
I misread DVD drive and thought dvd burner.

Either way do what black says and make you hard drive the 1st boot device

leem;you said"On a side note, I do have a DVD rom I istalled in place of the CD Rom, and I have not installed the software yet. I also have a card installed that lets me watch TV on my computer. I forget which brand (ATV I think) becuase I lost my disc"
Just on a hunch if, after you try what Real.. told you , and you still have trouble. I was wondering if you were banging around inside your Computer case???
Get back to us !

Yeah yeah yeah!!!
YOu guys/girls are so super cool! It worked. I feel so stupid. In reinstalling Windows ME, I set the boot sequence to the cd drive and then the floppy drive. I reset it to floppy drive and then the IDE Hard drive. Voala! It works great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back