Fresh Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdBlizzardIce

Hello all. So i made the mistake of replacing my 7800 GTX with the new Radeon X1800 Xt? Now why i did this I have no idea... I think i maybe brain dead. Anyways I dont like the card at all and the driver base is horrible and buggy with alot of games and it doesnt handle AOE3 or Dawn of War good at all. So I am going to reinstall my 7800 GTX but some recommend me wiping out my whole system and start fresh with windows. How would I wipe out my Windows XP Professional? I have the retail disk and all that stuff just need to know how to do this. The easiest thing, and I cant figure out how to wipe it out! lol. Plus the .Net software slows down your loading up windows and makes you do that whole profile log on type deal in the beggining before you even get into windows. Never had that before when i first installed windows pro sp 2. I have no use for that whatsoever when I am the only one that goes on my computer. Thank you for listening to my ranting and hopefully you wonderful people have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

as far as having to log in after installing .Net framework all you have to do is delete the net user account and no more login.

to reformat your computer boot from the XP cd ( make sure the Cd rom is first boot device in the bios.) delete the existing partition, create a new partition and format it. it's all GUI and simply follow the onscreen directions.

iss said:
as far as having to log in after installing .Net framework all you have to do is delete the net user account and no more login.

Or you can go to Start -> Run and run
Code:
control userpasswords2

Then uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Hit OK, and it will ask you to enter details for who should be auto logged in.

ColdBlizzardIce said:
Hello all. So i made the mistake of replacing my 7800 GTX with the new Radeon X1800 Xt

U have a 7800 GTX and u thought of upgrading it? Wow.... I would kill to have one of that card (and so would nearly everyone in techspot, i guess).

Anyway, are u sure u want to have a fresh install of Windows? U have to make sure u have back up of everything, from ur inbox mail, address book, favorites, downloaded everything, etc. And then after installing Windows, u have to install all drivers and softwares u need, set them up, update them. And then restore ur data from ur backup.

It's a long and frustrating work and will take a better part of ur day (or days). So if ur windows is still workable, I'd say just endure it until u just can't stand it anymore.

What do you mean ' I cannot figure out how to wipe it'?
Have you tried formatting the Windows partition and it failed?
If its an NTFS partition, just delete everything on it, and do a clean reinstall, if it's FAT32 - format it!

But yeah, be sure to back up everything you might need in the future - documents, pictures, videos, bookmarks, etc.

It's not a very pleasant or interesting process, but it's something that has to be done once in a while :)

Indeed. Thank you all for the replies. The only things really want to back up are all the updated drivers for all my hardware such as sound card, OS, VGA but I am just gunna wipe out and restart over. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back