Fresh winxp setup freezing with new components

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old graphics card died. Other components were ancient, so I upgraded.

I got a GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

BFG Tech GeForce 6600OC pcie, 512mb ddr2

I'm using an ide wd 120gb hard drive from the old system, as well as an nec dvd/cdrw drive. 450w psu.

I downloaded a boot disk, and deleted my old primary partition. Created a new one, rebooted, formatted.

I put my xp install disk in, and I consistantly get stuck at the Windows Setup - Setup is starting Windows screen. It just sits there for over 5 minutes.

I tried putting my old stuff back in, and it installed fine, so my dvd drive, xp install disk, and hard drive SHOULD be ok.

I googled and found an old thread on this forum about this problem, but not quite the same, so I figured I'd see if anyone can help me :)

Go to the Western Digital website. Download there a diagnostic tool that you can run from a floppy. Boot from it and let him do a advanced test of your harddisk. I guess there is something wrong with your HDD.

frankibo said:
Go to the Western Digital website. Download there a diagnostic tool that you can run from a floppy. Boot from it and let him do a advanced test of your harddisk. I guess there is something wrong with your HDD.

I tried that, diagnostic says it is fine. I tried using the same tool to begin installing winxp, and it said that win xp is incompatible. I know this is false, because on the motherboard website it says it is.

Also, I tried the same hard drive in an older system, deleted the main partition, created a new one, formatted, and installed windows fine.

rik said:
Also, what psu are you using on that lot??

Cant remember the name of the brand, but its a 450w.

Edit, I also tried buying a 650 SLI approved etc etc one that I really cant afford, installed it, and got the exact same results. So I returned it.

Since my last post I have obtained a replacement motherboard(different model, same brand, only differences are 2 ide ports and no 2nd pcie port) for testing purposes. Replaced everything onto the new motherboard, deleted all partitions on the hard drive, created new ones, formatted.

Tried to install using my copy of xp, and got a corrupted file(something about 810 and it was a .sys file, I can get the exact name if needed). So I figure my disk is bad. I got a friends copy of xp, and it gives me a BSOD with a stop message.

Its 0x00000007 (0xc0000005, 0x00000001, 0xf79ba08c, 0xf79b9d88)

It asks about adequate disk space(~30 gigs free on that partition alone).

No driver is identified in the stop message. I am using the onboard video, tried it with a videocard, and the same message.

I updated the bios, and disabled everything I could.

I am unable to boot to safe mode, as windows is not installed.

Any ideas? =0

"Since my last post I have obtained a replacement motherboard(different model, same brand, only differences are 2 ide ports and no 2nd pcie port) for testing purposes. Replaced everything onto the new motherboard, deleted all partitions on the hard drive, created new ones, formatted."

Maybe a motherboard bios update is needed. Can you list all the components in this system once again?

Tmagic650 said:
"Since my last post I have obtained a replacement motherboard(different model, same brand, only differences are 2 ide ports and no 2nd pcie port) for testing purposes. Replaced everything onto the new motherboard, deleted all partitions on the hard drive, created new ones, formatted."

Maybe a motherboard bios update is needed. Can you list all the components in this system once again?

I updated the new motherboards bios also, no difference.

Reposting parts currently in computer:

Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G(rev 2.1) motherboard(changed)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor(same)

GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory(same)

BFG Tech GeForce 6600OC pcie, 512mb ddr2(same, have also tried with just onboard video on new mobo)

I'm using an ide wd 120gb hard drive from the old system, as well as an nec dvd/cdrw drive. 450w psu.(all the same since last update)

Also, I read some more posts here, and made a cd of memtest86+.. Ran through 3 or so passes on one stick, and had 800+ errors. I dont know how many exactly, or what kind, etc because when I next came back the screen was a complete jumble of random symbols, characters, in all colours, some blinking. I took pictures on my cameraphone, cant get them to upload, will try in the morning.

I am currently running the memtest on the second stick of ram, and currently it is 50% through the second pass and there are 497 errors, all on test 5.

Going to try replacing ram tommorow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back