fried monitor

By onesmartidiot ยท 4 replies
May 27, 2006
  1. about 2 years ago we got a kds 17 inch flat crt and it worked fine.

    all the sudden, the power button is unresponsive, the screen is black, the power led wont come on, and it makes a pulsing high pitched noise out of the back.

    this monitor is out of warranty, but i just cant stand to watch a nice monitor get thrown out. is there any fuse type crap in this thing that i can replace?

    or just a helpful hint to get it on would be great
  2. CrossFire851

    CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

    I'm not a 100% on this, but there is something like the cathode ray tube that can be replaced. But you will need to go through the manufacter.

    It could take a while (a month) because it's not a common thing, such as replacing a car part.
  3. nork

    nork TS Maniac Posts: 306

    First, you dont want to start messing inside a crt monitor as there is is still voltage inside that monitor that can kill you if you touch it. ITs present even when the monitor is unplugged.
    Best to leave it alone. With the low price of buying a used 17 in or even 19 in flat screen model, i would say to just get another one, new or used.
    I should also point out its usually not worth bringing these monitors into a shop to get repaired as the repair cost usually exceeds $100 or more, which is why i suggest just getting a new one, new or used.
    Its a funny thing about monitors, they can run every day for 5 yrs or 2 yrs, or 5 months, you just never know.
    And, of course, if you are considering buying a new monitor you might consider an lcd model as these have come way down in price. You can try ecost I have seen them there at fair prices.
    You can also try forums for a new or used lcd or crt monitor. Then again, it could be cheaper to look around in your city and save shipping cost.
  4. onesmartidiot

    onesmartidiot TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 95


    whats in a monitor that can hold that sort of a charge just wondering. i have 4623487230 monitors around here so its not that big of a problem but it was a newer one so i guess thats why i thought of fixin it lol.

    thanks for all your help
  5. nork

    nork TS Maniac Posts: 306

    I forget the name of it, but its one part there that if touch it you will never do it again if you are still alive, lol. Good thing you asked first!
    I think its the same part that is in a microware as well, likely in tv's too.
    Someone here will tell you the name of it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...