Fried Processor? Fried Motherboard? from adding RAM? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowingnissan07

ok im new to this site and all so i really hope i can get an answer and fast.

To make a long story short, i bought an AMD Duron brand new off of ebay andi just got it today on 6/6/05. It came with:

15 GB Hard drive (NO OS)
around 1 GHz processor
K7-FSB333 Motherboard (built in graphics + sound card)
256 MB RAM
Case
52x CD-ROM
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
(i already have a monitor)

i bought it cuz i fried my old PC by replacing the processor with a different kind, but i managed to salvage my old 3 GB hard drive, and now i want to transfer those files onto my new hard drive. So i took the AMD Duron apart and replaced the hard drive with a 3GB and this 40.0 GB hard drive, in an effort for a file transfer. I also loaded a DVD-ROM in replacement of the CD-ROM it came with. I hooked up everything and i turned it on and everything seemed to work. When i got to windows i realized that i accidently (mixed up the hard drives) so that the 40 GB was on MASTER and the 3GB was on slave.

So i set the jumpers again and also decided to throw in another 128 MB of ram that was laying around, which i believe was my fatal mistake. When i turned on the PC, power was running through the system but no signal was being to sent to/from the keyboard or the monitor, and the system loading light was staying on the whole time. In fact these circumstances were the same as when i fried my old processor on my old PC! A scary comparison.

So ive been desperately hooking up this to that hard drive and what not, but even when i take out the things i added in i cant get it to work. In fact, no signal at all is being sent even if not drives are in and no RAM!!

The answer could also be static electricity, but i didnt touch anything except the RAM and the PCI and power cables. Is that enough to fry a PC?

I called my friend who signicantly knows more about computers than i do, and he said that nothing i did or modified should've done to the PC what it did. His advice was to get a refund or get a replacement.

I cant send it back cuz of a void warranty for "tampering", and plus i already spent my $234 on it and have nothing left for S&H.

I've gotten so ticked since this happened, especially since i only got to use it for like 2 minutes. Can anybody help me? My mom wont let me replace it, and i want to make sure its absolutely impossible for me to fix myself or one of my friends fix before i bring it to a pro technician.

Reply to this "thread" or whatever its called or just email at screechingspiders3@hotmail.com. I'm kinda desperate so the sooner the better. Thanx! :darth:

Not touching anything but the PCB components is the best way to fry stuff with static. Always touch the case of the computer or a good ground source before meddling with the electronic stuff.

Just calm down. Take out all the parts, clear the CMOS. Put in the CPU, memory and video. See what happens.

No luck so far

I'm not really sure what "clearing the CMOS" actually means, but i took off everything i know i could take off. unplugged the hard drive and the CD-ROM, and the RAM, pretty much left only the processor and the motherboard to run on itself. Still no luck. No data is being to sent to the screen.

the processor fan spins, but nothing. No processing taking place.

I did notice a small amount of damage on the ram slot...the one where i placed the 128 MB Ram card. :blackeye: THe small piece of metal in one of the tiny pin holes is out of place, and the purple plastic slot around that area has a brown burnt mark on it, almost as if the RAM overheated and melted a very small spot.

I cant think of anything else to do, but if anyone thinks of something please let me know.

I just might be able to get a computer from one of my school friends in the next couple weeks, but i want that to be my last resort...My mom wont be too happy either.

any suggestions?

:darth:

If you have burn marks on a piece of electronics.. Your motherboard is toast. Only thing you can do is to replace it.

I agree with Nodsu, most motherboards don't work well if they have a burnt spot.

I wouldn't put that RAM back into any system again either, odds are it may be the source of your first problem also.

The good news is that your probably just need a motherboard, the CPU and other RAM should be ok. A new motherboard for an old processor like that should run about $50.

sounds like a plan

Thanks you guys for the help. I really appreciate it

alright, it looks like ill have to scrap that motherboard. I guess buying a new one is a lot better than buying a whole new computer.

a couple problems though, if i keep the processer than i need to find a motherboard that is compatible wth it. Knowing that my processor is:

How can i find a compatible motherboard for it?

And, i dont really want to buy one off of ebay. are they any stores or local places in CT that i can buy one if anyone else here lives in CT that you know of?

--Darth Vader--

ok need a new motherboard

ok, so i detached the motherboard from the PC, being careful to not touch any circuits or anything cuz of "static".

I disasembelled the fan and heat sync, and then suddenly i noticed a large amount of a white paste like substance on top of the processor, smushed between the heat sync and the processor. my gut feeling is that that's supposed to be there, but i just want to make sure.

My motherboard has a bunch of different names on it. But i know every motherboard is different. The only things in common the new one and this fried one should have in common is the same processor socket type and power socket type, and maybe the right kind of RAM slots.

i was wondering if anyone has some spare time if they could look into where i might find a motherboard with these components:

-Processor Socket Tpye: "SOCKET462"

-at least 2 IDE input slots, + another for a floppy IDE input slot. (but i think that comes standard for most computers)

-im not sure what kind of power input its called but i can describe it. It has a translucent white plastic piece that sticks up about a 1/2 in with 20 small holes in it, (2 columns 10 rows) with long metal pins sticking up in each. and next to that is the smae thing except smaller in a 2x2 plastic piece.
I know thats different from my very old PC, which just had a small plastic back piece with like 10 open air pins sticking up next to it. I just dont know the PC terms for these different power inputs from the powerbox.

-Built in graphics card with at least 128 bit graphics. (the one i have now has 256 bit. I think its under the small "PCCHIPs" heat sync, but i dont think i can remove that or the card if its built in)

-i have no idea what kind of RAM slots i have. all i pretty much know is that its the kind with the white plastic locks on both sides. It says the purple plastic slot itself that is "2.5V" if that helps with anything, and along side it on the motherboard is the numbers "M863G V5.1 DDR 33"

whatever that means and whatever help that gives you.

and if you dont have the time to look into that, perhaps you can give me a website where i can just plug in the components i want and see what i gives me, or just maybe the location of a store that sells motherboard in connecticut (Eastern preffered)

Thanks so much for your help

DARTH :darth: VADER

numbers on my motherboard

No there is no name on the board, just a bunch of apparently random large numbers near certain components. No FCC number either. BUT

the computer came with the motherboard installed but also the box. The box says

PCCHIPS FSB333 K7 Motherboard

(support 462 AMD Sempron)

Model no. M863G SiS 741GX/964L mATX

the numbers on the board are:

100M LAN (near the PCI slots)

AGP8X (inbetween PCI slots)

8xUSB2.0 (near USB power input)

M863G V5.1 (alongisde RAM Slots, and right after that is a white sticker with an "A")

DDR 33 (right after the "A")

ATA 133 (next to the two IDE inputs)

FSB 333 (inbetween the processor at a PCCHIPs heatsync and card)

umm hmm...next to the processor is the word "Sempron" on a sticker.

a small black box directly behind the audio inputs (headpone, speakers etc) has a wierd "LB" symbol on it and the numbers: 16PT8515-40504S

EA=00115BCOF096 (on top of printer chord input)

M863G 12/28 Winbond (on a sticker next to the small brown PCI slot [for i think certain video cards])

686 AMBIBIOS copyright 1999 CS23 4 3 7 7 (on a sticker on a black box also near the brown PCI slot

0502A7NA (side of processor socket)

if sll of this helps with aything. most of that stuff is like the graphics stuff and bandwith and 3D -VGA and stuff. i should've just read the back of the box.

:darth: DARTH VADER

what about my processor

hey i just realized something. when i melted my motherboard by putting in the wrong kind of ram, is it possible that could've fried my processor too?

How can i be sure that its only motherboard that was damaged?

Burn is not good

glowingnissan07 said:
when i melted my motherboard by putting in the wrong kind of ram, is it possible that could've fried my processor too?

Just for a note to anyone
If i put in the wrong type of RAM into my rig now, it will not burn up, it just will not boot. His RAM was defective...this will not happen everytime you put in the wrong speed ram.

glowingnissan07 said:
is it possible that could've fried my processor too?
If there were burn spots, that is nothing but bad news. Look for anymore on the old MB. The only way to test to CPU is to drop it into another board..there is nothing you can do with out a MB.

Sean

Fried mother board from adding ram plz help

I tried to add an another ram to my Amd Athlon xp while the computer was up and running and I'm not sure either by touching something or whatever the computer turned off and the burning smell came out from around the hard drive(pretty sure it's not the hard drive though), now it turns on but no image displayes on the monitor and a constant beeping sound comes from the motherboard. plz tell me what to do

Amir_kvs said:
I tried to add an another ram to my Amd Athlon xp while the computer was up and running and I'm not sure either by touching something or whatever the computer turned off and the burning smell came out from around the hard drive(pretty sure it's not the hard drive though), now it turns on but no image displayes on the monitor and a constant beeping sound comes from the motherboard. plz tell me what to do
another candidate for the ***** award of the year.....

This is funny...
You'd be suprised at what people throw away. I have been finding computers sitting next to garbage cans for years and just passed them by for trash. I also find monitors, keyboards etc.

Now I fix them and sell them for a profit. I spent about $500 on a new computer in Jan 2007. Then in June I found the same one I purchased and fixed it with spare parts from other computer I found (compatible of course)... I will never buy a new computer again. My wife calls me Sanford & Son when garbage day comes around. See you later today is garbage day... True story.

Moral of the story. To buy a new Motherboard and processor for an old computer will cost the same as a whole new computer. Think about it

Respectively
Blakace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back