Fried PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

I setup a computer for a client and i bought a 350W power supply in a case. After i made sure everything was setup correctly, i flipped the switch, checked the bios to make sure everything was good, and then proceeded to install WINXP Pro. After a couple seconds of showing "Setup will now inspect your computer's hardware..." the whole system did a hard shutoff. I started to smell what smelt like some burning computer component so i immediately took the plug out of the back of the psu. I tried to turn it on again after a couple minutes and nothing happened. Luckily, i had an extra 250W power supply at my house so I exchanged them and everything works fine now. Why would a 350W power supply fry after minutes, and a 250W power supply work? It isn't a problem with too many things using power either...The computer setup is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Abit KR7A-Raid 133
Creative Live! Platinum 5.1
Creative 52x CDRom
3 1/2 1.44mb Floppy
GeForce 3 64mb

Probably just a defective component in the PSU. Have you opened it up to see what it was that fried? If you smelled it, I would imagine there are probably black marks around the component that burnt out, probably a resistor or capacitor. It could have been a transistor or SCR though or even the primary or one of the secondaries on the transformer. It could also be as simple as the fuse, there could have been a power spike in the line. Finding the problem might help determine the cause.

Even the best companies have a bad product slip out once in a while.

Oh, almost forgot....I know this is simple but I thought I mention it anyway...you did have the voltage selector set correctly right?

Originally posted by StormBringer
Oh, almost forgot....I know this is simple but I thought I mention it anyway...you did have the voltage selector set correctly right?
I don't think that would be a problem since he lives in the US and the US uses 110-120V instead of the 220-240V used elsewhere, using 220 on a 110 connection wouldn't fry it, only the other way around.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
using 220 connection wouldn't fry it, only the other way around.
Correct, in fact pc won't even turn on. A common prank in the office several years ago.

LoL uncleel.

I made sure that it was set to 115 so that isn't the reason why. I dont want to take apart the psu because i'm gonna send it back to the company where i bought all of the components for the computer. Thanks for your help anyways guys!

Originally posted by SNGX1275

I don't think that would be a problem since he lives in the US and the US uses 110-120V instead of the 220-240V used elsewhere, using 220 on a 110 connection wouldn't fry it, only the other way around.

I didn't know he lived in the US, I've never noticed, I just wanted to cover everything.

Basically:

1) This kind of incident is the kind of thing that, when happens to you like once in a giraff's *** (not often), co-workers laugh at you and call you inexperienced and stupid, you burned out a PSU, etc.... However was probably indeed caused by:

2) Now and again you get a defective component. Lets hope its not that HDD with all of your important data on or that heat sink fan an athlon cpu.

3) I would not use a 250 W PSU with the system you have recorded here.

yeah, i think i'm going to send back the old psu and get a new one. Hopefully the second one doesn't have the same problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back