Friend's outlook will not send mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmashock

I'm going crazy with this... My friend wants to set up outlook on a new laptop. Previously he had been running it on a desktop. Anyway, the desktop works fine for email but the laptop WILL NOT send mail.

Whenever I test account settings it gives me an error on the last test which is the sending of mail.

Here's the insane thing... the settings on both machines are identical... at least in the email settings... which is the only place I looked.

Perhaps this will help you, I tried putting the same settings into Mozilla THunderbird and they WORKED PERFECTLY. It worked the first time, no problem, exactly as I'd want it to... But this friend MUST use Outlook for various reasons I won't get into here.

Why would outlook not work and thunderbird would even if both of them had the exact same account information input into them.

If it's of any use to you the laptop is a new IBM laptop and came with a lot of software that I'm not familiar with...

Hi

So what happens exactly, can you recieve mail and not send it or does it error out doing either, does it give it an error code

mail settings
name
password

pop server in the form pop.mail server name
smtp server in the form smtp. mail server name

Check that there is a full stop, not a comma, its easy to miss if your not looking for it, in the above.

Regards

Ididmyc600 said:
Hi
pop server in the form pop.mail server name
smtp server in the form smtp.mail server name

email has two sides, send & receive. when the ISP has lots of email traffic,
they frequently split them onto two different servers, but they could also
use the port numbers to control the traffic, eg using mail.domain.com for both!

the actual settings for an email client are specific to the ISP, meaning
my settings like pop3.domain.com may not be correct for your ISP

common receive settings are pop3.domain.com, pop.domain.com, mail.domain.com, pop3-server.domain.com

common send settings replace pop and pop3 with smtp.

As for Firefox and IE email settings, these USUALLY access webbased mail
rather than a pop/imap server. webbase email is left on the server and accessed
via port 80, while your email client (outlook) operates on the PC and
pulls email from the client to the PC using port 110 for reading and port 25 for sending.

Ididmyc600 said:
Hi

So what happens exactly, can you recieve mail and not send it or does it error out doing either, does it give it an error code
It recieves mail just fine. It will connect to the server, download mail, and then say it can't connect to the outgoing server. I get a similar message when I click on the "test account settings" button.

I'll look again for a comma, but I generally don't make mistakes like that. What's more... and this is really a key point... I set up thunderbird on that same laptop in under 2 minutes with NO problems... that is downloading it, installing it, configuring it, and it being completely functional.

same settings... same computer...

I'm just wondering if there isn't something funny in outlook that I'm missing. I don't use outlook for email. I keep it around for syncing with my pocket PC. But that's it.

Do you know if windows firewall would block outlook from sending mail?

I'm just wondering if there isn't something funny in outlook that I'm missing. I don't use outlook for email. I keep it around for syncing with my pocket PC. But that's it.
I do likewise, but config Outlook so as to be able to SEND.

I promise, it does work and the settings are identical to any other email client,
eg Outlook Express, Thunderbird.

make sure you set the authentication

• Tools ->Accounts->dbl-click the account
  • properties->Servers Tab
  • outgoing mail server [x] authentication
  • click settings
  • enter the postoffice email name (w/o the @domain.com)
  • and a valid password

jobeard said:
I do likewise, but config Outlook so as to be able to SEND.

I promise, it does work and the settings are identical to any other email client,
eg Outlook Express, Thunderbird.

make sure you set the authentication

• Tools ->Accounts->dbl-click the account
  • properties->Servers Tab
  • outgoing mail server [x] authentication
  • click settings
  • enter the postoffice email name (w/o the @domain.com)
  • and a valid password
Ok... this is what I've done... I went to tools, Email accounts, view or change existing email accounts, double clicked on the account I'm interested in, more settings, outgoing server, and then filled in login/password.

I did that when I first set the account up... this is going to give me a brain aneurysm.

Karmashock said:
I did that when I first set the account up... this is going to give me a brain aneurysm.
Save yourself and your friendship -- convince him/her of the security issues with OUTLOOK and move to a better email client

unfortunately they're beyond convincing... they just can't... they must use outlook and they must use it on this laptop... so... damn.

I'll go over every last piece of software on that computer... every last security or connection system... third party or otherwise... damn IBM... damn them to heck.

Karmashock said:
unfortunately they're beyond convincing... they just can't... they must use outlook and they must use it on this laptop... so... damn.
... damn IBM...
then let their help desk solve the problem -- they made the requirement.

Karmashock said:
what specifically do you mean?

Go to tools>options>mail setup tab>click send/receive button>edit>under account options>make sure "send mail items" box is checked.

I've experimented with that setting and while it does cause mail to not be sent it won't generate an error IF you try to send mail.

outlook 2003

halo71 said:
So it was checked??
yes it was checked... sorry this is very strange for me too... I'm generally pretty good with this stuff and it's driving me crazy because I'm pretty sure it's all properly configured.

same problem

Outlook 2002 + Laptop, everything works fine on my Desktop (with Outlook), but I can not send from the Laptop, I'm pretty sure everything is correct, because I did this a hundred times;
this is a Bug of Outlook

Welcome Hades_Argon,
you should start your own thread, not piggyback on someone else's...

"everything works fine on my Desktop (with Outlook)"...

Outlook 2002?

How does the laptop connect to the Internet? Are you sure you have entered the SMTP and POP3 server info properly? Password and Username? Do you get any error messages? If so, what are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back