from one problem to another. could it be hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
my problem started when I was playing warcraft 3 and all of a sudden it froze. The mouse wouldn't work, alt-f4, ctrl-alt delete didn't work so i rebooted. Right after the windows loading screen the monitor's light when from green (normal) to yellow as if it were sleeping. so I could only get on windows on safe mode and VGA mode. I was reading around the internet and found some solutions such as, system restore, using driver cleaner pro, un/reinstalling drivers now the wierd thing about this problem is everytime I try and install a nvidia driver from the website or from 3dguru it starts at 50% everytime even after i reformatted the computer and installed clean windows. I think the reason it starts at 50% is because when I was reinstalling it the first time it crashed on the same spot it starts everytime I try and install isn't that wierd? when I went to device manager and deleted the display adapter and rebooted it would still be there, but when I go into display properties, settings tab it says display: (default monitor) on, I also deleted the registers from regedit and reinstalled, but no such luck. While I was reinstalling everything else another problem arised. My audio drivers wouldn't install either, it was freeze everytime it got to the point where it says windows is configuring the sound drivers or something, i've tried downloading drivers from the cd and websites. I've been having this problem for almost a week now.. could somebody help me? I've been told by a friend it might be a hardware problem. because recently my north bridge fell of without my noticing i have no idea what it was for so i thought it was okay, but it was put back shortly afterwards.

This is my first time actually posting for help so i'm not quite sure where I can get my specs info from so i'll tell you what I can.

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.81 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS
I'm assuming I have a SoundBlaster audio card, because a family member gave me a Creative cd to install drivers from.

please help oh learned ones.

Because reading that is very hard for me, I will attempt to guess what is wrong with your computer. You can't start your computer in regular mode and you can't install your drivers for anything or is it just your sound card?
'Is it that your drivers fail to install and an error message comes up? Or is it your computer freezes?

Also your north bridge fell? Someone more knowlegdable then me will have to explain that one cause I have no idea how your north bridge can fall, unless you mean failed. Which if something is wrong with the north bridge on your motherboard, you have to get a new motherboard/computer.

okay..

the north bridge fell off and so we had to use crazy glue to put it back on.
the drivers won't install, both video and audio.
when i try and install the video drivers it starts off not at 0% to 100% but at 50% as if it were half done. i'm not sure why it starts at 50% but maybe because it crashed at 50% when i was installing the drivers the first time my computer messed up.

the audio drivers won't install either.
at one point my cpu was 80 degrees because the north bridge fell off and i didn't know, would that be the cause?
also, i can start my windows in normal mode, only if there is no video card installed. it used to freeze on the windows loading screen but i reformatted my computer thinking it would help but it only got me this far.

how much would it cost to replace whatever is broken?

"the north bridge fell off and so we had to use crazy glue to put it back on"...

The Northbridge heatsink fell off, not the chip itself. The Northbridge is an Integrated Circuit. It is soldered to the motherboard. You can't use super glue to reattach the northbridge heatsink. You have to use thermal glue. Most motherboards can run fine without a northbridge heatsink, but I'm afraid that the heatsink might have shorted against other components while it was powered up...

The motherboard is toast... replace it!

Jase123,
how can you tell where pheardotcom is located? Is he in the UK or USA? If he's in the US, he can get a P4 motherboard for $60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back