Front Panel Connectors Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cracking7

Hi there
Looking for some urgent help/advise, please :rolleyes:
I've only ever had one computer, so please be patient.
I have recently upgraded my old 1999 Gateway PIII PC - I've kept exsisting Case.
I fitted a new MSI KN8 Neo2 Plat..MOBO, MSI Graphics Card, ATX PSU, Memory - only to find that the 7 black pin block Front Panel Connectors on my Gateway case does not work with me new KN8 MOBO. ohh dear silly me:eek:
The following is the set up of my Gateway Front Panel Connectors:

Hard drive activity light - red wire and Black wire;
Power button - blue wire and white wire;
Power indicator light - green wire, black wire and orange wire.

I seeked advise in PC World and was told I needed to buy a brand new CASE as I could not buy the connectors seperate. Is this so?
I looked in side a ATX case, and noticed that they have completely different connectors. :(

Is there a possible way of, as they say hot wire the ATX case connectors to my old gateway FP conectors? and use the new connectors - If I buy a really cheap case and take the wires from it.
My old case is really useful and if possible, like to still use it.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Chris :) :) in UK

I had a similar problem except it was with my Front Audio Panel. I had a Compaq and used the motherboard that was in it in a new Case. The motherboard would only accept the wires from the case (which are way too short to even use on the new case) anyway I looked around for similar wires but it seems HP/Compaq only makes them and only for their computers. ANyway I just modded the wires and connected the corresponding wires with staples :giddy:

I heard it can short circuit ur wires and/or system but yea.. hmm

other than that its working fine so far. maybe i'll post a picture or two :D

here:
http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0129xz.jpg
http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0219rh.jpg

You might be able to do the same. Not sure. I would have to see what the slot in your motherboard looks like and what the wires youre trying to stick in them look like.

Anywho, good luck!

You can indeed buy new wires/leds/connectors for your case. Here is one online source I know of which I've done business with (mycableshop.com): Click here. At the bottom they sell a full set but you can get the parts individually too. They are all on the same list.

It is a Canadian and USA based online site but if you can't find these items locally in the UK, they will ship internationally.

I spent some time looking around that site and some others but I didn't find what you asked about, at least not yet. It seems like it should be available somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Maybe you can salvage it off of an old used case if you can find one.

yea.. maybe.. I am led to believe only HP/Compaq would have such connectors. proprietary companies tend to do that. *sigh* what do u think of the lil modding i did? do u think its safE? jus want ur say =]

Nice improvising. I suppose the proper connectors might provide slightly less electrical resistance than, say, staples :) but if it works, it should be fine. Too bad you couldn't get the right side sound to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back