Fsb/athlon xp problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a crappy athlon xp 1700+ as a replacement for my fried athlon xp 2400+ mobile chip. It will only be recognised by my bios if its running at 133 fsb, If i change fsb speed at all BIOS will say it is an AMD athlon 1100. I want it to run at 266 mhz (which it is supposed to run at i think)

The only way it will show up properly is if i set the switches and jumpers to auto but I want faster than 133 mhz,

any help much appreciated

specs: athlon xp 1700+
gigabyte GA-7N400-L
Dual channel DDR 333 RAM 768mb

The data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_XP_microprocessors

'Note 1: The Athlons XP uses a double data rate (DDR) front side bus meaning that the actual data transfer rate of the bus is twice its physical clock rate. The FSB's true data rate, 200, 266, 333 or 400 MT/s, is used in the tables and the corresponding physical clock rates are 100, 133, 166 or 200 MHz, respectively. The multipliers in the tables above apply to the physical clock rate, not the true data transfer rate.'

your ram may be needed to be changed to DDR 400.

I have an athlon XP 3200+ and it uses 3 sticks of DDR400 ram in tri-channel mode.

With three sticks it stuck in single channel. No big deal, socket A memory bandwidth did not increase a whole lot with dual channel. Three channels--lol.

You may be able to get it faster. 166MHz would be at your memory's rated speed. That's overclocking--11x166 is 1.826GHz and quite possible with your CPU.

timing

stark-m said:
I have a crappy athlon xp 1700+ as a replacement for my fried athlon xp 2400+ mobile chip. It will only be recognised by my bios if its running at 133 fsb, If i change fsb speed at all BIOS will say it is an AMD athlon 1100. I want it to run at 266 mhz (which it is supposed to run at i think)

The only way it will show up properly is if i set the switches and jumpers to auto but I want faster than 133 mhz,

any help much appreciated

specs: athlon xp 1700+
gigabyte GA-7N400-L
Dual channel DDR 333 RAM 768mb

Its your ram timings, Im pretty sure, cause my sons pc has a XP+2400 cpu and I had to manually set the timings to make it run correctly.

those athlon's had FSB's of 266/333/and 400MHz depending on the AXP you have. (1700/2500/3200).

i did a little bit overclocking today using clockgen. I raised clock speeds of athlon xp 1.47ghz to 1.60ghz. I trie 1.7ghz and computer rebooted and became unstable. I will invest in more cooling so its safe to raise core voltages.

I still cannot overclock using BIOS though, I will try Mirobs theory next.

so i should set my jumpers to 11x multiplier and set fsb speed in BIOS to 166 instead of 133? I've had to clear CMOS about 50 times and its not easy. shorting the pins won't work so I've been pulling out the battery and the catch is wearing out so I just want to be sure on what I shoud do.

I'm not sure what CPU you have. The Palomino core has a stock Vcore of 1.75, the Thoroughbred is 1.5v-1.6. Thoroughbreds have done over 200MHz FSB. Your are going to need to raise the Vcore. Bump it up .1v. About 20% increase is usually considered safe(with good cooling.).

Mirob said:
With three sticks it stuck in single channel. No big deal, socket A memory bandwidth did not increase a whole lot with dual channel. Three channels--lol.

You may be able to get it faster. 166MHz would be at your memory's rated speed. That's overclocking--11x166 is 1.826GHz and quite possible with your CPU.
not necessarily. MSI K7N2 boards operate in multi-channel.

my BIOS only lets me increase core voltage by 5%.7.5% and 10% is this usual?

Temperature was just getting over 60 degrees celcius when voltage core was raised 5%, is this getting to high?

stark-m said:

Temperature was just getting over 60 degrees celcius when voltage core was raised 5%, is this getting to high?

I think 10% may work.
http://www.gen-x-pc.com/cputemps.htm
They say the max temps are 90c. I wouldn't push it that far but 70c seems reasonable.

thanks, I have succesfully overclocked it using BIOS. I got the little bugger up to 1900+ I have hardwired a new system fan in there to keep temp down, but i wish i hadn't its so damn lOUD! I took it straight out of an old PSU and then hooked it up to a molex connector 12V rail. would u believe that PSU fans are the same as case fans? almost

how high should I OC it does anyone know? I have dream of getting it up to 2200+

stark-m said:

Yeah it's usual for an old Gigabyte board. :)

Didou said:
Either single or dual channel, there's no such thing as tri-channel.
I beg to differ. My board works in multi-channel or the manual is printed wrong.

The board cannot invent something the chipset doesn't support. nForce 2 could run in either dual or single channel & for boards based on that chipset one channel was made up of two memory slots while the 2nd channel was a single slot hence the 3 slots on the board. It wasn't a triple channel memory controller. & on top of that motherboard manuals do tend to have huge errors in them often enough.

I read a few reviews of that board, each of the three sockets are divided into two banks for a total of six memory banks. With the right memory modules it may be possible to run dual channel with three dimms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back