FTC reply to Aurora complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

I reported the makers of Aurora to the FTC and the FBI, I received this response:

email reply:
Thank you for visiting the FTC's web page and for using our NEW electronic Talk To Us form. Here's what happened to your information after you sent it to us:
One of our consumer counselors reviewed the information you sent us. If it was related to the FTC's law enforcement responsibilities, we entered it into our shared law enforcement data system. We share this data system with law enforcement agencies throughout the United States and Canada. Attached is your electronic response, which includes your reference number. Any enclosures can be found at www.FTC.GOV under the News Releases, Publications, Speeches option.
Information from consumers like you helps Federal, State and Local authorities investigate possible illegal practices and enforce our laws. Someone from the Federal Trade Commission or another law enforcement agency may contact you if they need additional information to help them in an investigation.
Thank you for using our Talk To Us form, and please continue to use the FTC's web page, www.ftc.gov, to get free information to help you avoid costly consumer problems.
--------------------------------

This is in response to your recent complaint. The Federal Trade Commission acts in the public interest to prevent unfair and deceptive practices in the marketplace. Letters such as yours help us monitor activities and identify problem areas.
-----------------
Their reply:

The Commission does not resolve individual complaints. However, the information you have provided concerning the practices of the company will be considered to determine what, if any, action should be taken by the Federal Trade Commission in the public interest.

Again, thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.
-------------------------
my comment:

The FTC does not handle individual complaints, however, I think if enough of us complain, they will take action for the benefit of the public.

The Commission does not resolve individual complaints.

Erm, why???

In this case, just half an hour of research by anybody with an ounce of IT knowledge would demonstrate that there are grounds to act on this complaint.

It's probably the same in the UK. Beaurocracyand red tape never cease to amaze me with their capacity to make an organisation completely and utterly useless in any reasonable timescale.

However, it does seem to appear that if enough people can complain and gather enough evidence of aurora and the places in which it is hosted, then they may be able to do something about it.

Sooo, do you have a link tedster, and if so, is it worth people from outside of the US dropping them a line?

absolutely, the FTC operates basically on a class-action type of push. If enough people complain, the FTC will consider it a breach of trade laws due to the volume of complaints. I encourage everyone to complain to the FTC and the FBI.

www.ftc.gov

www.fbi.gov

Realblackstuff gave us this info - thanks:

Meet the makers of Aurora:
Domain name: WWW.ABETTERINTERNET.COM
as well as
Domain name: WWW.DIRECT-REVENUE.COM
Registrant:
Thinking Media LP
275 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
US